Ignition Failure, Check Ground - Frigidaire (Nordyne) - Fault Code 4

Old 12-14-16, 02:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ignition Failure, Check Ground - Frigidaire (Nordyne) - Fault Code 4

Hello,

I have a Frigidaire (Nordyne) Upflow Furnace Model # FG6RC 080C-16B where the LED is flashing 4 times. The fault code indicates "Ignition Failure (check ground).

I have powered down the unit and restarted it a few times. I hear the relays engaging, and the blower comes on. When looking into the burner viewport, I do not see the ignition glow. I confirmed the pressure switch is working. I also unplugged many but not all of the connectors\plugs on the board to de-energize it.

I'm not sure what to check next. Could someone please provide some additional test steps or point out potental components to look at?

Thank you in advance for the help!
David

Name:  UpflowFurnaceDiagram.jpg
Views: 3429
Size:  52.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-16, 03:51 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Measure the power going to the igniter. You should see power applied shortly after the inducer motor starts. If you have power there and the igniter isn't glowing, you have a bad igniter or connection. If you don't have power then it likely the furnace doesn't think the inducer is running.

Old 12-26-16, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the assistance. Replacing the ignitor solved the issue.

Here are some additional details that might help someone else with the same problem:
1. Unplug the ignitor connection. Using a multimeter the connection read 120v while the system was going through the startup process.
2. Using a multimeter, you can check continuity before removing the ignitor from the unit. Here a video on the procedure
3. Two screws on a square plate hold the ignitor. In my case, the plate did not come straight down as expected. It was lodged between the back wall and the bottom of the burn box. I did not know this, and I had the plate on an angle. When it slipped out, it looks like the element struck the lip of the opening and shattered it into three pieces.

More information: Ignitor will not glow

Old Part #: Model 632-363
Current Part #: 903758

Purchased Part from SupplyHouse.com (This was the best price I could find. I have purchased parts from them twice, and both times the service was excellent and shipping fast)

Old 12-26-16, 06:48 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks for circling back with an update!

Old 12-26-16, 10:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 308 Posts
You can disconnect the HSI from the board and check it for continuity.

If you are checking for 120vac power to the HSI..... then it MUST be left connected.