What is the blower motor housing called

Old 12-20-16, 05:10 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is the blower motor housing called

Carrier Weathermaker 9200 Model # 58MXA060-12112
When trying to remove the blower motor from the housing it is attached to one of the bolts started to spin. Unless I get real lucky I will need the blower motor hood or whatever it is called. My newest problem is I can't seem to find it on the web. What is the correct term to use when looking for that item?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-16, 05:34 AM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
Are you trying to remove the motor? Which screw is spinning? shoot us a pic or 2.
Geo

Old 12-20-16, 05:36 AM
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
That would be the blower housing

Old 12-20-16, 05:43 AM
Which screw is spinning? shoot us a pic or 2
The spinning bolt is one of three that secure the motor to the metal housing that contains the motor and squirrel cage. The nut ( for the sake of a better word) that the bolt goes into is pressed into the sheet metal and appears to be spinning. I'll see if I can figure out how to include a photo.

Old 12-20-16, 06:22 AM
Received 32 Votes on 29 Posts
That happens more often then it should.
You can drill the threaded part out and put in a conventional nut/bolt.

Old 12-20-16, 09:53 AM
Could not reach the pressed on nut until I got the motor and squirrel cage out. I don't know if this is the standard configuration, however, the motor was held into place by a metal band that tightens around it. There are three L brackets that slide between the motor and the metal band and then attach to the housing. I loosened the band and was able to remove the two brackets that were already loosened, slide the motor out and then remove the squirrel cage. Once the cage was out I used vise grips on the nipple of the pressed in nut that spun and was able to remove the bolt and the third bracket. I dropped the housing off to have all three nuts tack welded in place for $40.

Old 12-20-16, 09:59 AM
I didn't drill and use a standard nut because I would not be able to reach it unless everything was taken apart again. I swear I searched under blower housing and didn't find anything the first time. Thanks roughneck77. I did find the housing (about $150) the next time I searched.

Old 12-20-16, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
That will work.

I use a product called a nutsert. It's put in the drilled hole and then a tool compresses it and it becomes a threaded nut set in the housing.

Name:  nutserts.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  13.2 KB

Old 12-20-16, 11:05 AM
I use a product called a nutsert
Very Cool.
I am replacing the Blower Motor. The furnace calls for Model # HC41AE117 and runs $218 and up. On Repair Clinic they have an equivalent, part # 3S044 Made by Regal Beloit under the name Genteq. I found it for $165 on site and $65 at another. I verified with Genteq that they are a supplier and that the motor isn't rebuilt.Any reason not to purchase the less expensive model?

Old 12-23-16, 12:22 PM
Received and installed new motor, $80 w/shipping and a Cap. Installed like a dream plugged right in. It may have taken care of a slow heat rise issue I have had, or not. For now I have heat and will monitor things for the next few days. Only charged $30 to tack weld all 3 pressed on nuts.
Merry Christmas