17 year old gas furnace keeps needing resetting

Old 12-22-16, 04:48 PM
17 year old gas furnace keeps needing resetting

Last year our furnace started randomly failing and blowing cold air. We had the igniter replaced, but it is still randomly blowing just cold air. A technician said he couldn't find anything else wrong, that once they get old, they just start failing.
when it is blowing cold air, we power it down at the Honeywell VisionPro thermostat and wait a few minutes before turning it back on. 9 times out of 10 it will work for days after this.
This week it has been worse and is failing a lot. We are trying not to reset it until we get someone out to diagnose what is wrong. It seems though that hours later, it is working again.... then later it will start blowing cold air and drop the house temperature back down.

The technician last year said it was like it was shutting down because it wasn't able to breathe and he made sure our filters were clean and they were. The other day I checked the main return while it was on and the suction from the furnace was blowing the filter out of position, like air wasn't flowing. We are using cheaper filters and I wonder if it is allowing air to flow? I have taken the filter out for a few days and it has still failed.

Of course it is running nonstop.

Any ideas what is going on?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-16, 09:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 10
Most furnaces will flash a trouble code when they fail. Count your flashes at the furnace and note if you have slow and fast flashes to help solve the issue.