Honeywell S8610U gas pilot controller

Old 12-30-16, 11:16 AM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
Honeywell S8610U gas pilot controller

I have a Honeywell S8610U pilot controller on my gas furnace. It generates a flash code 5 error intermittently which is a damper position error. However my gas furnace is a high efficiency unit with PVC pipe for exhaust gases and has no damper. Contacts with Honeywell to see if the damper position function can be bypassed was futile. Has anyone found a way to bypass the damper position function?
Honeywell boasts the S8610U is a universal unit that can replace hundreds of Honeywell and other brand controllers. Maybe it can but this 1 size fits all approach by Honeywell gets a failure grade from me since I have to replace the unit because of a failure in a function that is not required by my furnace configuration.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-16, 01:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
See: Table 5, procedural notes. https://forwardthinking.honeywell.co...ll/69_1955.pdf

Old 12-30-16, 03:45 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
* IF INSTALLATION DOES NOT INCLUDE VENT DAMPER WITH PLUG CONNECTION TO MODULE: 1. Connect the “Call for Heat” thermostat wire to the TH-W terminal.

Same sight as Grady pointed out. Table 6 at bottom of page.

Page 13 shows you the schematic also.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 12-30-16, 05:32 PM
Received 28 Votes on 24 Posts
Grady:
Thanks for your response. Unfortunately Table 5 of the Honeywell document you referenced is for wiring changes when you replace a identified old controller with a S8610U. My furnace has always had a S8610U controller. My issue is I will have to replace the controller for a internal failure (damper position error) when the furnace configuration never had a damper nor will it ever have a damper. I am looking to see if anyone has found a way to bypass the damper position feature as it is not needed. If I can do that, I won’t have to replace the S8610 controller.