Trane XV-80 Gas Furnace - Replace Control Module?

Old 12-30-16, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Trane XV-80 Gas Furnace - Replace Control Module?

Our furnace stopped delivering heated air sometime in the night, and I awoke to a cold house. Looking for help diagnosing the problem. Here is what I have done so far:
Thermostat is set to call heat. Powered furnace down and back up to reset. Upon power up, the fan turns on but no other steps in the ignition sequence occur. The control board LED is solid red (no blinking).
The furnace behaves the same, no matter if thermostat is calling for heat or not, or if heat is turned on/off.
According to the error codes, if "continuous on" then "replace control". So, I assume this means a faulty electronic control module that needs to be replaced? I don't want to jump to conclusions, so I am looking for other items to check for correct diagnosis. Or, if a solid red LED always means you must replace the board, it would be good to know.
Control is White Rodgers 50A51-505. I called Trane parts supply and that model is no longer available. They sold me a 50A51-495 instead. The housing and connections look similar, but not identical. There are some additional blower Hot connection tabs, and (most notably) there is no lower circuit board (ICM fan control) as with the 59A51-505, so I don't think it will work as a direct replacement unless there is an adapter kit or something similar.
But, first things first: Need to diagnose problem correctly. Please help - my house is cold!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-16, 05:55 AM
Can you post the model number, usually starts with TUD.

Old 12-31-16, 08:01 AM
Thanks for responding. I ended up hiring someone to fix it. Understandably, my wife did not want to deal with a cold house over the holiday weekend while I figured this out.
It ends up that the control module I had is relatively rare, something about the variable speed blower using 24V DC instead of AC being unusual at the time it was manufactured. There is no direct replacement. You have to get a kit that replaces the control module, igniter, and some other parts. Expensive kit. I learned a lesson: I should not necessarily trust the parts warehouse to know the right replacement. My thinking was that, if the furnance was manufactured by Trane, then Trane Supply should have the resources and experience to make the right call. Unfortuntately I wasted time and $ on this one, but will be wiser for the experience.