Tempstar NTV6125KJA1 furnace, pilot flame lights up and goes away in 1 sec

Old 01-03-17, 03:59 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tempstar NTV6125KJA1 furnace, pilot flame lights up and goes away in 1 sec

The above named furnace is not working right. Most of the time, the ignition sequence proceeds with the fans working and pilot flame lights up visibly.

However, in less than one second, pilot flame goes out, and the furnace proceeds to repeat the process indefinitely.

It does, apparently, succeed to ignite from time to time, I did see the furnace run recently, and the house is not cold, but clearly it is not functioning properly.

I did pull out the pilot flame, igniter and sensor assembly and gently cleaned the sensor with emery cloth. It appeared clean prior to cleaning and the act of cleaning did NOT help.

Any idea what may be wrong with it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-17, 09:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The pilot flame needs to be fairly robust.
There is a good chance that the pilot orifice needs to be cleaned.

Old 01-03-17, 06:24 PM
Thanks. I came back from work and started carefully looking at it again. I pulled out the ignitor/flame/sensor assembly and, as it was slightly differently turned due to being pulled out, it ignited well and I was able to ignite the main gas also.

The furnace is now running, heating the house, which will give me some time to understand it better without everyone being cold.

Perhaps the flame orientation is not quite right, not pointing properly towards the sensor?

Thanks a lot.

Old 01-03-17, 06:38 PM
I am not sure how my original message got reposted. I wanted to post a followup instead.

I returned home from work, and started looking at the furnace. I unscrewed and pulled out the pilot flame/sensor/ignitor assembly. Just was I was gently manipulating it, somehow or other the pilot flame did actuate the flame sensor, main gas started and the furnace is now running.

I will run it for a while to get the house warmed up and get more time to work on it. However, I am not sure what happened that actually helped. It may be the flame position with respect to the flame sensor, perhaps, leading to better heating of said sensor.