disconnecting a radiator

Old 04-26-01, 09:35 AM
Visiting Guest
I just bought an 80 yr old home and have to replace the floor in the bathroom. To do this I need to disconnect the radiator. The water supply to the house is off. What else do I need to do before unhooking the connections?

Old 04-26-01, 11:35 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You need to find a way to drain the radiator and any other radiators or piping that are at a higher elevation.

Start near the boiler and look for a drain valve that you can hook a hose to. Run the hose to a nearby drain or outside. Try to find a place where the end of the hose is lower than the elevation of the drain valve.

Open the drain valve, and then open the bleed valves on all radiators above the bathroom radiator. When water stops draining, open the bleed valve on the bathroom radiator.

There will still be some water in the radiator, so be prepared to deal with it - buckets, towels, etc. It is nice if you can find caps for the fittings you break to remove the radiator, then you can cap the lines and prevent other potential flooding.

I have also seen people use portable air tanks and fittings to blow air into the radiator through the port the bleed valve screws into.

Old 04-26-01, 12:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Rick!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: