Heil Gas Furnace Tripping Breaker

Old 04-22-17, 08:56 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heil Gas Furnace Tripping Breaker

Hi folks, I have a Heil gas furnace, model NUGK100DH08.

Went to turn on the heat on this chilly morning and got nothing. Went downstairs and checked things out and noticed the breaker was tripped. I reset it and went back to the furnace. Called for heat, the furnace ignited fine. The blower began to spin, hummed very loudly and then slowed down the rpm's. It started to wind up again, then tripped the breaker.

Should I assume there's something wrong with the motor and it needs replacing because it's working too hard or could there be another issue that would cause this? I don't suspect a short because the trip isn't instantaneous. The blower always spins up and then trips the breaker.

Thank for your input, I appreciate it.

Old 04-22-17, 09:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,422 Upvotes on 3,068 Posts
It could be as simple as a defective capacitor on the blower motor.

It would make sense to change that first.
Also check and make sure the motor spins easily.

(I'm leaning towards a worn out motor)

Old 04-22-17, 09:47 AM
D
Thank you. Should I be able to reach in and spin the motor freely by hand? I've never messed with it before so I'm unsure what the standard would be for give.

Thanks again.

Old 04-22-17, 12:06 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... the motor/blower wheel should spin loosely by hand.

Normally when the blower door is opened the power is disconnected but turning off the safety switch is also s good idea.

Old 05-15-17, 03:54 PM
D
Finally got around to checking on the capacitor and motor. My digital multimeter doesn't seem to have a capacitance section that I can find (though the manual says it does) so I just went and bought a new capacitor from the local HVAC supply place. Mine was oval, 10 microfarads, 370 volts. They gave me a tiny round one that was 10 microfarads and dual voltage. 400 something and 370 and told me no worries, it was the same thing.

Came home and installed it. Called for heat. The first motor comes on and starts the suction. The ignitor clicks. The pilot light is fired up. Then after a little bit the pilot goes out and the ignitor stops clicking though the (inducer?) motor stays running. The burners never fire up. The blower motor never kicks on. I cleaned the flame sensor just in case and got no change in results. Now I don't know why it's not working. Is the capacitor I was given the wrong one and affecting me? Is it something new now? So I guess I'll have to order the actual replacement one online and wait for it to come and try that. It's always something ::: sigh:::

Old 05-15-17, 04:43 PM
Group Moderator
You have a different problem now. Before it was just a blower problem. Now it's a pilot problem.

First.... you should put the thermostat into FAN ON mode and ensure that the blower motor is now working properly.

The pilot problem is most likely a dirty pilot orifice. That's the little hole the gas comes out.
The pilot flame needs to be large enough to keep the pilot safety satisfied.

Old 05-15-17, 05:01 PM
D
Yeah I put the fan on via the thermostat and the blower didn't turn on at all. I get a pilot light and it looks like it normally does. I just don't get the burners lit while the pilot light is on. Then after a minute or so the pilot goes out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: