Need a wall-mounted propane room heater that can connect to a propane tank

Old 05-10-17, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need a wall-mounted propane room heater that can connect to a propane tank

The closest I could find is:
FREE SHIPPING Mr. Heater Propane Vent-Free Blue Flame Wall Heater 10,000 BTU, Model# MHVFB10LP | Propane Wall Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment

but it doesn't say whether it can hook up to the big exchangeable propane tanks or if uses those 1 liter dinky dogs.

I want to Airbnb a couple rooms in a house with no HVAC (formerly had gas but all the gas piping was removed) without paying for a new HVAC system and then they jack up the electricity bill.

Any products that fit the bill (preferably from experience)?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-17, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 267 Votes on 242 Posts
That is one example why they are trying to enact laws to regulate that industry. I know of NO vent free gas appliances approved for use in bedrooms or other small rooms.

Old 05-10-17, 07:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Although the manufacturer says it can be installed in a bedroom, it will completely depend on local codes. The maker also says a fresh air source is required so you'd need to block open a window or add an outside vent. And yes, you would need the big 30lb or larger tanks plumbed through the wall. Have you checked propane prices recently? Esp for the portable tanks that you take to them?

There's also this, when someone stays in the room and turns it on, then has to go to the hospital or morgue because of burns or CO poisoning, how much do you stand to lose? House, truck, M/C, boat, cabin in the woods, half your income forever?

These things are designed for detached garages, workshops, maybe a cheap den addition with no HVAC, places where people will be up and active while it is in operation, not sleeping quarters.

Use a window A/C with heat, or possibly an oil filled radiator. They take a long time to heat up, but are relatively safe.

Old 05-10-17, 08:51 PM
"Use a window A/C with heat, or possibly an oil filled radiator. They take a long time to heat up, but are relatively safe."

I didn't know either of the above even existed.
A quick Google search shows that the oil filled radiators are far cheaper to purchase. The question though is, which is cheaper to run?

Old 05-10-17, 11:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Since they won't be run very often, and like I said, propane is kinda pricy (at least around here), I imagine it would be a couple of bucks a night either way you go. Who cares! These are rooms you'll be renting, so up the price by $2. If it works out to be more, up it by another dollar.

I wasn't taking cost into consideration since effectively, you won't be paying for it, they will. I was talking safety.

The window unit covers heat and cold. You said no HVAC, so what about the hot humid summer days and nights. A heat source only doesn't help with that.

Btw, don't think this is going to be free money coming in. It's based on reviews isn't it? That means nice beds, clean linen and towels, clean bathroom and kitchen, easy access, etc, etc.

There's plenty of hotels in the Falls Church area and around DC in general. Many for $80-90 a night. They have pools and spa's and bars, etc. It's not like NYC or SF where you'll spend $150 or more (sometimes much more) for just a decent place. Also unlike those other places, rates stay pretty reasonable on weekends since all the offices and businesses are shut down. I used Falls Church, just based on your IP. Not sure if that's accurate.

Personally, it would creep me out to have people I didn't know come stay at my home. Yeah, I know they're supposed to be vetted and all that...still.

Old 05-11-17, 09:00 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Window heat pump seems like a good choice

Old 05-12-17, 08:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 267 Votes on 242 Posts
I have window heat pumps permanently installed in some of my older rental homes. Basically the unit is installed through a wall instead of a window. It can be screwed into place so it's difficult to steal. It can be caulked and trimmed so it looks nice. There are two basic types you can consider. One is a air conditioner with heat. These are cheaper to buy but the heat is old fashioned resistance heating so consumes a lot of electricity. The more expensive type is a true heat pump. These operate similar to a larger home heat pump where is runs in reverse to heat. The benefit is it's more efficient at making heat so if it will be used in heating mode for a good length of time then the added up front cost may be worth it.

Old 05-12-17, 09:23 AM
"The more expensive type is a true heat pump. These operate similar to a larger home heat pump where is runs in reverse to heat. The benefit is it's more efficient at making heat so if it will be used in heating mode for a good length of time then the added up front cost may be worth it. "

When searching, how do I distinguish between this true heat pump (for a room) vs the air conditioners with heat and the larger home heat pumps?

Old 05-12-17, 09:29 AM
"The more expensive type is a true heat pump. These operate similar to a larger home heat pump where is runs in reverse to heat. The benefit is it's more efficient at making heat so if it will be used in heating mode for a good length of time then the added up front cost may be worth it. "

When searching, how do I distinguish between this true heat pump (for a room) vs the air conditioners with heat and the larger home heat pumps?

Old 05-12-17, 09:50 AM
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
Hi Michael, Just reading along but have an application where a through the wall heat pump might be an option so did a search. This link shows all three options, except didn't see prices, didn't go that far.
https://www.friedrich.com/products/c...all/wallmaster

Bud