Replacing Furnace Advice Please...

Old 05-11-17, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing Furnace Advice Please...

I started another post asking about issues with my 20 year old furnace that was installed new when the house was built in 1997. I am now going to replace the furnace. The furnace being replaced is a Consolidated Industries USA 054 NH3R VSA 90% gas furnace installed in the basement and side wall vented. It was rated Energy Star back then.

There are many companies making this furnace now, but I'm looking at replacing it with a Goodman unit instead. I would like it to match up somewhat to the duct work. Also, mine was rated at 54000, but Goodman offers 40,000 and 60,000 options. Would like to get an Energy Star rated furnace.

Here is my current furnace:

90% AFUE Downflow Gas Furnace

Here are the furnaces I am looking at:

Shop for Up to 98% AFUE Gas Furnaces from Goodman AC & Heating

The GMEC96 is the lowest model with Energy Star. What do you guys think? I am open to all suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-17, 10:52 PM
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
I installed the Amana version in my house. Goodman's do tend to be noisy. This one is two stage so runs in 1st stage most of the time and is quieter. Some don't like the ECM motor as they are expensive to replace (some say motor can be repaired).

Old 05-11-17, 11:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
Are you planning on installing it yourself ?

I would recommend calling a Goodman dealer or two to come and give you a price.
They'd know by looking at it what type of ductwork issues there would be.

Old 05-12-17, 02:28 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Do you want a warranty on the new furnace? I know of NO manufacturer that will honor the warranty on a a DIY installation. That is why when I had my furnace replaced I had it done by a heating company, regardless of my having the tools and expertise to do the work.

Old 05-13-17, 05:56 PM
Astuff, which unit did you get? Single or dual stage burner? Model?

Old 05-13-17, 10:27 PM
Received 12 Votes on 11 Posts
AMEC960603BN - two stage. Identical to Goodman unit but with stainless steel heat exchanger instead of aluminiumized steel.

Also I missed your old is downflow/horizontal. Be aware that the GMEC96 is upflow/horizontal only.

Old 05-14-17, 04:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Often units are oversized by HVAC guys. A rough calc is SQ FT * 25 to give you an approximate proper BTU rating.

It's better to have a unit that is just right or even a touch on the small side - so that it runs for a long time on very cold days. That provides better comfort and avoids inefficient "short cycling".

It may not be worth getting a high efficiency unit, unless you get tax breaks. The extra $400-600 would take a long time to hit ROI vs a good 80% efficiency unit. Run the #s and see what's best for you.