New furnace: install issues

Old 05-30-17, 06:45 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New furnace: install issues

I had two furnaces installed in the attic last month. These are vertical units that they installed on the floor of the attic with the evaporator coil being on top of the furnace. I have attached some pics. I have a couple of concerns and wanted to get your input on these.

The weight of the furnaces is not supported by any ceiling joists, it's essentially sitting between the two ceiling joists on the plywood floor board. You can even see the floor board sagging a bit under it. There is no other support for the unit. Is this acceptable? And if not what should I ask the contractor to do to fix it?

The cold air return round flex duct is connected directly to the furnace. I think it's not good to have round flex ducts directly connected to the warm air supply, but what about on the cold air return?

Attached Images    
Old 05-30-17, 08:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,610 Votes on 1,482 Posts
I'm trying to get my bearings. You have a truss roof..... correct ?
That would mean the framing could be 24" between joists.

The first two pictures are of one of the units..... call it unit A.
The third picture is the other unit.... call it unit B.

The floor issue is only with unit A ?
There should be some kind of dimensional lumber across several trusses.
If your water pan ever leaked you would have water and the furnace thru the ceiling.
That flakeboard disintegrates when it gets wet.

Old 05-31-17, 07:00 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What room is directly under the unit? Any idea how much it weighs? Can you call the manufacturer?

Old 06-01-17, 01:42 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
It really isn't much weight. But guess being on the edge as made is sag. What size AC do you have?

Old 06-01-17, 02:02 PM
B
All the pics are of the same unit. The furnace weighs around 130lbs and the evaporator coil that sits on top weight another 70lbs so total is about 200 lbs. The foyer is below, so it's a two story ceiling int that area so if it falls thru it's going far.

Ideally they would have blocked with 2x4's after removing the old system and put a new sheet of plywood on top, the current one is water damaged from the previous unit. I'm trying to figure out best way to fix this now without having to remove the unit. I could block on the end that is visible there but no access any further.

Old 06-01-17, 03:21 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
200lbs isn't much. From a structural point of view, another piece of plywood wouldn't give you more support. You could install a few heavy duty L brackets from the plywood to the 2x4s. I think that's all you need.

Old 06-01-17, 03:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,610 Votes on 1,482 Posts
It's a little hard to remove the unit now.

Slide a piece of 3/4" plywood between the flake board and the unit.

Old 06-09-17, 10:10 PM
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
that's one terrible install.

likely short on return air and with flex direct into cabinet the entire filter isn't being used. that is if there's a filter in the furnace, it may be in a return grill.

i don't see a drip ledge. there's supposed to be one to stop debris from getting into the valve/orifices.

Old 06-15-17, 01:51 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
I don't think the floor bending is his issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: