Help with Miller propane furnace please!

Old 10-19-17, 07:43 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi, thanks in advance for any help you can offer.....I also posted this in a different forum on here so apologize for duplicating but I think this forum is probably better suited to help me!

I live in a manufactured home and have a Miller propane furnace. For the first time this season, I tried to turn the heat on and.....NOTHING !

The heating system is about 8 years old so don't think it has failed because of age. However, over the summer I had a lightening strike nearby my home (not a direct hit) that blew out one of my GFI outlets and subsequently other outlets on the same circuit. The furnace is on the same side of the house that was affected and near the other outlets that were affected...Once I replaced the GFI circuit, all was well......

Since I haven't used my heat since then I have no way of knowing if the nearby strike affected my heating system. I have central a/c and that worked fine after the strike.

May have nothing to do with the lightening but I am wondering....maybe I need to reset something! When I turn the stat on it calls for heat but the blower won't even kick in. I have checked the circuit breaker and I have full tanks of propane.

Any ideas? Is there a reset somewhere I could try and if so where is it usually found?

Old 10-19-17, 09:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

One thread is used for a single topic so this is yours.

If the FAN ON mode doesn't work either it sounds like the low voltage (24vac) transformer was burned open. This is a common problem with glitches and heavy surges.

Your furnace may have a control board with a fuse but you'd need to post the full furnace model number. It's posted behind the burner service door on the side wall near the burner. The control board is usually in the bottom of the furnace behind a blower access door. You can check for the presence of a control board there.

Pictures of what you see are also helpful. How-to-insert-pictures

Old 10-19-17, 10:29 AM
N
Thank you I will send pic and check model as soon as I get home (5 PM EST)

Thank you!

Old 10-19-17, 02:32 PM
N
not sure if i attached these pics correctly!

Name:  f1.jpg
Views: 3241
Size:  85.0 KB

Name:  f2.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  56.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 10-19-17 at 04:39 PM. Reason: reoriented pictures
Old 10-19-17, 05:27 PM
Group Moderator
See if you can also find a model number on an ID plate on the inside by the burner.

I believe the control board is behind the plate where it says caution.

Old 10-19-17, 08:55 PM
Group Moderator
In lieu of your model number I grabbed a similar unit. This one is a Nordyne who probably bought out Miller. It's very similar to yours. It shows a control board behind the plate I mentioned. In there... part #13 is a 120vac to 24vac transformer. There will be two high voltage wires that connect to 120vac and two low voltage wires that connect to the board. You are going to need a meter. You need to check for both voltages.

Be aware that there may be a safety switch that the service door hits.

A nice bright picture of the inside of that control box will allow myself or others to guide you further.

This is only a similar newer model. Don't rely on any part numbers listed. For reference only. Sears parts direct/model-number/m1bc086/3280/0912130.html

This is the current transformer they are using. It will be labeled. Yours could look similar or may have wire leads instead of tabs.
Name:  miller x.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  31.5 KB

Old 10-20-17, 08:06 AM
N
Ok, this seems a bit out of my capability - I am a pretty self-sufficient woman but I don't have a meter and wouldn't want to mess around with something electrical lol....

It is helpful you gave me a good idea of what it could be so that when I do call a service tech I can sound somewhat intelligent about it though!

Thank you so very much for this!

Old 10-20-17, 06:34 PM
Group Moderator
If you were daring you could still take the cover off the control box and post a picture. Be sure to let me know what the problem was when the repair is complete.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: