Old Plymouth furnace no longer lights (B60 gas valve problem?)

Old 10-24-17, 07:15 AM
Old Plymouth furnace no longer lights (B60 gas valve problem?)

It is intermittent, but it does not light. I think the B60 Valve is bad. I have found that if you tap on the valve with very little force that it causes ignition. Once it lights once it's good for the day or longer.

Its a b60 Millivolt valve, I replaced the Thermostat already and ran new wires for that. We just got the house a couple years back and I am not experiance with this Technology, although I do have to say I like the forced Air system for those times when the power does go out.

I'm looking at replacing the unit sometime, but right now it is not in the budget. I have found a replacement Valve, just would like some advice on if others think this is the issue or something else. Like the Generator(thermacouple or whatever it's called that makes the millivolts needed to energize it) for valve.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-17, 07:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When you tap on the valve the vibration could be moving a loose wire. Check the connections first.

Old 10-24-17, 10:36 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 210
Welcome to the forums.

Doubtful the valve is sticking. More likely it is starved for voltage. With a furnace of this age it is good thinking at looking towards replacing it.

You are going to need a meter to check the open circuit and closed circuit voltage of the pilot generator. The most common problem is a partially plugged pilot orifice not allowing for the correct pilot light size to heat the generator to the proper voltage.

Pictures of the burner and valve area are helpful. How-to-insert-pictures

Old 10-27-17, 05:44 PM
Most of the time the pilot generator is the culprit. Either needs cleaning or weak. If the pilot has any clips on the valve end remove them and scrap the wire bare. Same goes for any wires on the B-60. Do you know which pilot generator you have? You mentioned you replaced the thermostat, are you sure itís designed for millivolt systems?

Old 10-27-17, 07:12 PM
I should have mentioned the bleed line sometimes gets partially restricted and that makes the valve slow to open or not at all. Another issue is poor splices or loose wiring.

Old 10-30-17, 05:31 AM
Got the Unit to working.. I think it really is the generator that caused the issues. Cleaned up the wires. Took the bleed line off, it was fine, I know it's due for replacement... I really do.. But as of right now there is no money in the budget to replace the unit. The Thermostat I replaced was for a millivolt system and worked last heating season. I Shortened the run of wire and replaced it then.. I Will measure the voltage on the b60 also.

Thanks for all the tips and trouble shooting advice. I've finally got the feel of how this unit works..

Geoge

Old 10-30-17, 03:30 PM
Glad you were able to some heat. Thank you for reporting back.