Day & Night LPG Furnace Backfire

Old 10-25-17, 09:11 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Day & Night LPG Furnace Backfire

I have an 80's Day & Night furnace that after being dormant for several years I was able to fire up thanks to some help from skaggsjie. Now in the morning it starts up great but about every 5th cycle it backfires on start-up, enough to blow out the pilot light this morning. The burners are clean with a nice blue flame and I installed a new filter . This intermittent problem is driving me crazy. Any ideas? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-17, 09:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 327 Votes on 306 Posts
The burners are clean
How did you determine that ?

More than likely there are blocked holes near the pilot allowing too much gas buildup before ignition.
Usually means the burners need to be cleaned.

Old 10-25-17, 10:16 AM
I vacuumed the burners out a week ago and that made a big difference in operation. In the morning when I turn up the t-stat you can barely hear the furnace start. It cycles off and on fine for several cycles before it decides to backfire again. I can try cleaning it again. Any other ideas ? Thanks

Old 10-25-17, 11:00 AM
Group Moderator
You need to visually check/clean the little holes where the gas comes out.
Especially near the pilot and the crossover area where the flame goes from burner to burner.

Old 10-25-17, 02:46 PM
I think you nailed it Pete. This time I pulled the burners all the way out instead of vacuuming in place. I'm embarrassed to tell you how dirty they still were. There was a time I would have fired myself over that job. I guess that it was burning so inefficiently that the un-burned gas would build-up over several cycles and then explode. I won't be able to test it until tomorrow morning because it's 70 deg. here in beautiful South Lake Tahoe today. Thanks for your help.
Tim

Old 10-25-17, 02:59 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds good. It can be hard to see into the gas burner holes. You do need something small to clean the holes out depending on bad the rust is. A steel bristle from a bristle brush works good.

Old 10-27-17, 07:18 AM
Pete,
The last two mornings the furnace worked perfectly. Thanks again for your input.
Tim