Can I mix Fuel Oil and Kero in a Fuel Oil Furnance

Old 10-25-17, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I mix Fuel Oil and Kero in a Fuel Oil Furnance

Hello DIY'ers!

I want to first thank anyone that replies and is helpful. I have tried to research this myself and still feel unsatisfied from what I read. I am a crafter brewer, and have no real exp or knowledge of furnaces.

I am moving into a new place that has about a 1/2 a tanks worth of Fuel Oil....( it may or may not be removed, thats still in the air)....To my understanding Fuel oil is Diesel ( low sulfur ?)

.The current place I am living in now has a little of 1/4 tank of undyed kero. I would like to take this kero with me to the new place in order to avoid a loss on my investment. In the event that the Fuel oil in the new place is not removed, can I mix the two and be okay without negative consequences?

In the event that it is removed, is it okay to burn kero? Is there anything I would need to do? I really don't want to plunker money down for a pro to come in and tell me its ok and then demand $200

Thanks again for your time and any help!

Cheers,
Terry

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-17, 07:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 346 Votes on 324 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Yes.... you can mix or use kerosene for your home oil burner. They are almost identical with kerosene being a little cleaner burning as it has minimal additives.

Old 10-25-17, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your help,quick reply, and welcome! I actually just found a sheet on the inside service door of the furnace that supports exactly what you said. It looks like it was recently serviced. Good deal.<br />
<br />
Cheers,<br />
Terry

Old 10-26-17, 06:45 AM
Received 23 Votes on 21 Posts
Common here in the north country to blend Kero with fuel oil for outside tanks, fuel oil can get too thick to pump. Search "heating oil / kerosene blend for your outdoor tank ".

In some situations the fuel level in the tank is calculated and credited so transferring may be a waste of time and effort.

Bud