Forced air gas heater vs relative humidity

Old 11-05-17, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Forced air gas heater vs relative humidity

I have a high efficiency Goodman forced air gas furnace. Just turned it on a few times last week. First week this season. What I noticed every time after heat ran, the RH increased inside the house from mid 50% to mid 60%. I always thought forced air heating reduces RH. Donít know what the problem is

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-17, 07:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 372 Votes on 349 Posts
The heating of air in a gas furnace does decrease humidity. However... two things happen. The furnace can circulate air from the basement that is higher in humidity and if you have an older house..... heating the air causes the hot air to rise in the house drawing in higher humidity air from outside.

Old 11-06-17, 04:52 AM
Received 72 Votes on 67 Posts
And in winter that is usually a good thing. Many people will install a humidifier to their central heating system. However, a 60% relative humidity sounds excessive. Are you sure you're reading and measuring it correctly?

Old 11-06-17, 07:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
this unit is on the attic to heat the second floor. Since it is high efficiency one, it has sealed combustion. I have a few CO detector on second floor. Seems to be fine

I use Acurite digital weather station. I guess it is perfectly accurate, but should give a rough indication.