Furnace running but not blowing heat, switched off/on and it was fine?

Old 12-04-17, 04:24 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace running but not blowing heat, switched off/on and it was fine?

Edit: Sorry, this is a Comfortmaker furnace (don't know anything else about it off hand, I'm at work) and it is gas. Never had any other issues with it.

Woke up for work this morning thinking it felt chilly in the house, I went out to where the thermostat is and it said it was only 62 in the house yet the furnace was running (it was set to 68). I put my hand by the vent and the air coming out of the vents was ambient, definitely not heated.

I switched the thermostat to off, waited for the furnace to shut off, then switched it back to heat. I went down the basement and could most definitely hear the burner kick on in the furnace, and when it started blowing air it was warm like normal.

So I guess I'm wondering, could this be an isolated incident, or should I have someone come check it out? I'm not even sure what would cause the burner to not be on. It's supposed to get pretty cold here middle of the week through the weekend so I don't want to have to worry about it.

Thanks!

Last edited by ghunt81; 12-04-17 at 04:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-17, 07:23 AM
S
Most likely it will happen again. Next time it happens Check the sight glass on the front of the furnace see if you are getting LED codes. Let us know.

Old 01-06-18, 03:05 PM
G
So apparently now is the time for it to happen again, it's happened 3 times in the past 24 hours, of course on the coldest day of the year so far...

Anyway, this last time it was doing it, I peeked into the sight glass. No codes but there was some sort of a flame behind the sight glass- I cut power to the furnace then turned it back on. Looked in the sight glass, I saw the ignition element (or whatever it is) glow, and that small flame lit (is that a pilot flame of some sort?) but it did not ignite the main burner. Had to turn it off and on two more times before the burner finally ignited.

What would be causing this, is it something I could fix myself or am I better off just calling a guy, I don't know anything about furnaces but I'm generally pretty handy.

Old 01-06-18, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 745 Votes on 700 Posts
A flame in that sight glass could indicate an intermittent pilot ignition system.
The sight glass mentioned would be down in the blower door.

While you're in there poking around.... grab the full model number. It will be on an ID tag on the side wall near the burner.