Old RUUD furnace burner problem.

Old 12-04-17, 10:49 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old RUUD furnace burner problem.

My old furnace model #URGG-10E37JKR, serial #AYA4785 A HA Af4092 6987 isn't lighting the burners all the time and when it does they only stay lit for about 10 seconds. My draft inducer motor locked up a couple of weeks ago, so I replaced it and all was good for about a week. Now the pilot light will ignite, but the burners are having a hard time lighting or staying lit. I replaced the fan limit control but no change. Everything I have been reading points to a flame sensor, but my unit doesn't have one. Could it be a gas valve problem? Running out of things to replace and don't really have the funds to call a pro. Any help would be greatly appreciated as it's getting ready to be cold here in Oklahoma.

Thanks Bryan

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-17, 03:38 PM
S
Hey Bryan, All furnaces have a flame sensor. Do the flames reach all the way across to the end ?

The flame sensor will be located at the last burner.

Last edited by skaggsje; 12-04-17 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-04-17, 04:01 PM
D
I didn't think mine has one as I can't seem to locate it. I looked all over for it. When the burners do light they are all the way across and back as far as I can tell. When they lit yesterday they would stay on for a few seconds and then it would shut the gas off before it got warm enough for the blower to kick on.

Old 12-04-17, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,204 Votes on 1,114 Posts
Welcome the forums.

That's an older packaged unit. I don't see much tech info online for it.

You said pilot. Does that have an intermittent pilot that is spark lit and then lights the burners ?
If yes.... I'm pretty sure there is no flame sensor on the burner and it's the pilot that controls the flame sense.

Since that's an older packaged unit.... those burners are exposed to a lot of moisture and probably need to be removed and fully cleaned. They are probably rust clogged.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to have it professionally cleaned and the heat exchanger checked for rust and rust thru.

Old 12-04-17, 07:28 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
"Now the pilot light will ignite, but the burners are having a hard time lighting or staying lit."

Reads to me like a dirty or insufficient pilot light and/or dirty "crossover" ports on the main burners.

If you have the spark-ignited pilot PJ refers to then the pilot burner often has a bi-metal (thermostatic) switch that is the pilot flame sensor and there is no main flame sensor.

Old 12-05-17, 07:47 AM
D
It is a spark lit pilot. It will spark and light the pilot. It keeps sparking and sometimes the burners will light but then shortly go out or they won't light at all. It will cycle a few times trying to light again and then shut off. I noticed when the burners would light it seemed to not be getting sufficient gas flow. Could I remove the burners my self for cleaning or would it be better to get a pro. Could it be the igniter "thermostatic sensor" be bad? If I'm understanding that correctly.

Bryan

Old 12-05-17, 08:24 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
With what you are writing I think you need a pro to come and check the manifold gas pressure and total flow rate.

Old 12-05-17, 10:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,204 Votes on 1,114 Posts
That is an older unit and the flame sensing system is not as quickly acting as newer models. It sounds like the pilot orifice also needs to be cleaned. Call your gas provider for service. Most of them have very good gas technicians that can service your system without pushing for replacement. However, they will also check for old age problems and their advice should be heeded.

Gas appliances can be unforgiving.

Old 12-05-17, 04:28 PM
D
OK. I want to thank you all for your help, input and guidance. I have come to the realization that I am probably in over my head and this is beyond my knowledge. I have been given a contact for a reputable heat and air company in my area that will inspect my unit fully without being overly pushy on unit replacement if it's not needed. In order to keep my family safe I will go that route. When I get a diagnosis, I will report back to let you know what they find.

Thanks again,
Bryan