Locating flame sensor in furnace?

Old 12-10-17, 12:42 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Locating flame sensor in furnace?

I have to clean my flame sensor but I cannot locate it. My heater blows cold air and hot air sometimes.

Name:  fs.jpg
Views: 5697
Size:  37.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-10-17 at 12:50 PM. Reason: enlarged/labeled pic
Old 12-10-17, 12:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,316 Votes on 1,216 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I operated on your picture.

You don't have a flame sensor rod to clean. You have an intermittent spark lit pilot light. That is an assembly connected with that orange high voltage spark wire and that silver pilot gas tube. That assembly gets taken out and cleaned. More than likely you have dirty pilot light or pilot light orifice. The pilot has to be lit and be a full size flame before the main burner can light and stay lit reliably.

Not really an easy DIY job. You may want want to call your gas provider and see if they offer service. I've found the gas providers usually have excellent service and they're not trying to sell you a new furnace to replace that older one you have.

Additionally..... if your burner stays lit for several minutes before shutting off then you don't have a flame sense problem. More like an over heating problem. Check for a clean filter as well as open registers and returns that aren't blocked.

Old 12-10-17, 03:50 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much Pete! I'll get it checked out

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: