Gas furnace with humidifier, is this system configured correct?

Old 12-26-17, 07:36 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Gas furnace with humidifier, is this system configured correct?

I'm questioning the configuration of the heating system in my home. The humidifier seems to just pour water through the system when the heat is running, that is another post though.
What I'm wondering is, is the system I have setup correctly? Seems like by installing the humidifier in the cold return, its putting water into the air system, but then passing by the burner, wouldn't that increase the chances of rotting out the furnace side of the system? I'd think the humidifier would be installed totally in the hot going out the to the house.

I just bought this house not long ago, and this stuff was installed not long before I purchased. I'm trying to get a confirmation that its set up ok before trying to figure out the humidifier section of the system.

Thanks!
I've got some photos I labeled below, hopefully they show up.

Name:  hvac1.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  74.8 KB

Name:  hvac2.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  73.1 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-26-17 at 08:06 PM. Reason: added pics from links
Old 12-26-17, 07:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,139 Upvotes on 3,717 Posts
Photobucket no longer allows 3rd party linking without a mega costly plan.

I've imported your pictures directly to the board. In the future... try posting your pics here directly..... How-to-insert-pictures

Last edited by PJmax; 12-26-17 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-26-17, 08:10 PM
Group Moderator
It looks like there was plenty of room to put the humidifier on the supply side unless I'm missing something.

Those bypass humidifiers do allow water to drain. The water drips over and soaks the media. The extra water is to wash the minerals away.

Check and make sure the water distribution pan over the media is level as it insures the water completely soaks the media without running off one end and being wasted.

Old 12-26-17, 08:25 PM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
It is called a bypass humidifier. Even if mounted on the supply/hot plenum the moist air gets sucked into the return and through the furnace. Parts are galvanized or stainless steel so increased chance of rust is minimal. A condensing furnace has water forming on the inside and then it drains out.

Old 12-27-17, 04:42 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I see, thank you for moving them. I'll have to give that a shot next time around.

Based on what you guys are saying though, everything looks good?
Just seems really odd to me with this humidifier, to me, it feels like I just left the sink faucet on half and let it run all day.
That may be the way it is supposed to work, I guess I just don't like it. Pan is level though...

Old 12-27-17, 04:50 PM
Group Moderator
If you post the model number of it I can tell you how much water should be running thru.

The older units had a water storage chamber with a revolving media wheel but they were very hard to keep mineral free and were pretty much retired in favor of this newer type.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: