Rheem Classic 90 Plus goes out after about 2 hours?

Old 12-28-17, 07:49 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rheem Classic 90 Plus goes out after about 2 hours?

I have a Rheem Classic 90 Plus furnace. The temperature recently got really low and I began having this issue.

My furnace will be on for about 1-2 hours and then will switch off before even reaching the temperature set on the thermometer. I initially assumed something wrong with my thermometer, as I had it set to 70 but the temperature wasn't going beyond around 55.

To check the thermometer I replaced the batteries, did a factory reset on it, ran the test modes and made sure everything was in proper order, and cleaned the wires inside of it of dust with a clean brush. This hasn't done anything to help.

Later, I tried evaluating my furnace and cut the power supply at the furnace.When I turn it off and back on, the furnace fires up in normal sequence with no error codes whatsoever. Then, about an hour or so later it was not pumping hot air any longer (considering it was -5 degrees this was considerably upsetting). I then went to the circuit breaker, cut the circuits for the furnace and for the basement, however that also proved to have the same results.

I looked on the internet here and evaluated the flashing light diagnostic codes. My furnace has a single green light flashing once every 3-4 seconds, which is the igniter failure code. Here, my furnace cuts off during use but doesn't have problems igniting though. When I looked up solutions, I was told to clean the flame sensor with steel wool (not sandpaper) so i did that (despite the fact that the orange light wasn't really flickering, growing faint, or blinking). This seemed to make the situation mildly better, as the home stayed above 60 degrees over night, but then in the morning I also noticed that the same code happened right before I left for work.

I have never changed the filters on this furnace, but my reading indicated that this Rheem Classic 90 Plus has "permanent" filters?

It's about 5 degrees out today and promising freezing tonight also. Help?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-17, 08:13 AM
S
Permanent filter ??? Do you mean an electronic filter ? Open up the furnace and check for a filter.

Old 12-28-17, 08:26 AM
T
Originally Posted by skaggsje View Post
Permanent filter ??? Do you mean an electronic filter ? Open up the furnace and check for a filter.
I'm not 100% sure what I am looking for? I know what a filter looks like of course. What I don't know is what specifically I am looking to fix about it or where I am looking for it.

Old 12-28-17, 09:14 AM
S
A dirty filter can cause all kinds of problems.

Old 12-28-17, 09:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 725 Votes on 680 Posts
Take some pictures for us so we can see what you have there.
How-to-insert-pictures

Old 12-28-17, 09:35 AM
T
Originally Posted by PJmax View Post
Take some pictures for us so we can see what you have there.
How-to-insert-pictures
I can/will absolutely do so. Just need to do that later this evening

Old 01-05-18, 12:07 PM
B
If you don't know where the filter is, how have you changed it, how old is your furnace-