Lennox pressure swith problem

Old 01-01-18, 02:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lennox pressure swith problem

Hello all,

I am a new member. I have a Lennox g61mp-36b-071rev09 furnace purchased in 2010. Two years ago i had a pressure switch problem and again last week the same problem. Both times the problem was resolved by disconnecting the hose from the switch and reconnecting it. The service tech said the switches (this unit has two, a low and high pressure) sometimes get moisture and just shaking them out solves the problem short term. He recommended replacing both at a cost of $550.00.. Does anyone have knowledge of this issue. If the new switches would assuredly solve the problem or not.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-18, 03:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 506 Votes on 476 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Moisture inside the pressure switches ??
That would be a new one on me.

If the pressure switch is mounted lower than the draft inducer.... you could get a bit of water in the rubber/plastic connecting hose. You could remount the switch higher if you see visible water.

Clogged condensate drains can also cause water to backup where it shouldn't be. There may be an issue with a condensate line not routed correctly. Another common problem is the tiny hole inside the draft inducer fitting gets plugged. It's a very tiny hole that needs to be cleaned with something very small lime a pin, small piece of wire or even a small paper clip.

Name:  Inducer clean.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  11.5 KB

Old 01-01-18, 08:43 PM
Thanks. Is the hole on the pressure switch where the hose attaches? I am concerned that new switches will not eliminate the problem. Even though the switches are still under warranty, the labor will be around $200.00. The switches seem very easy to replace. But to keep the warranty in place(3 more years left) the company has to do the work.

Old 01-01-18, 10:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 11 Posts
The hose connects to the pressure switch on one end and it connects to the furnace body on the other end.

It is the end that is not connected to the pressure switch that gets restricted.

I have seen some odd issues with Lennox pressure switches.
I have seen them continue to have a closed circuit when I unplug the tube during operation. I have seen the top half fall off when unplugging the tube to the pressure switch.

I have seen a dual stage pressure switch setup get water in the pressure switches after the evaporator coil froze up in a vertical application ( of a different brand) . I was able to remove the pressure switch and shake some water out to get them operation for the night.
I replaced the pressure switches the next morning.

Old 01-04-18, 08:35 PM
Smile Repair work and yearly service agreement

Could I expect to get parts replaced during my annual service visit? I prepay$180.00 yearly for one summer and one winter system service. Two weeks ago my furnace quit working. The tech came out cleared the vacuum line and got it working and recommended two new pressure switches. He charged me $75.00. He had to order the switches. I am asking the switches be replaced during my prepaid service visit. The parts are covered under warranty. I don't want to pay $200.00 for the 10 minute job of replacing the swiitches I know how to change the switches myself, but I don't want to risk voiding the warranty. What do you HVAC professionals think about this? The winter service I paid for should have been done at the beginning of winter in my opinion. Since I am owed the winter service visit, I think they should do this 10 minute job during the winter service visit.

Old 01-05-18, 02:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 11 Posts
I would have them bring the parts when they come back.

While I would not expect to pay $200, I would expect some additional charge if they are going to get the parts and then have to warranty them out with the manufacturer.