High whistle sound when heater is not on or turns off for Carrier Furnace

Old 01-04-18, 11:51 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question High whistle sound when heater is not on or turns off for Carrier Furnace

High whistle sound when heater is not on or turns off for Carrier Furnace. The furnace is M/N 394GAW000050-A. I had the gas company come out and they put a danger tag on my gas intake valve because it seems like the gas valve assembly is not shutting correctly when the heater is off. I am posting this because I want to make sure that the obvious culprit, the gas valve assembly, is what I should be replacing. If there would be another cause for the gas to continue to flow when the unit is off, I would like to hear it. Thank you.

Old 01-04-18, 12:05 PM
I would disconnect both wires from the gas valve and see if the noise/flow stops. If it continues flowing, that would prove to me it's definitely the valve itself.

Old 01-04-18, 01:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Depending on the gas valve used.... that may be an intermittent ignition pilot in which case there could be 4-5 wires on the valve.

I've worked with a number of gas company service men. They are usually very reliable in their diagnosis. They don't push for additional part replacements like some independent companies do.

Since they diagnosed a defective valve.... did they offer to replace it ?
They turned the gas to the valve off.... did the whistle stop ?

Old 01-05-18, 04:34 PM
R
Thank you for the suggestion core, I will try that and let you know.

Old 01-05-18, 04:37 PM
R
PJmax, the gas company did not offer to replace the valve, but they gave me a pamphlet that had a way to look up certified service providers. Yes, the whistle stops when the gas valve is turned off, which is what I was doing prior to calling the gas company and I would turn it on just before turning the heat on. I've already ordered a new gas valve assembly, but I'm going to try core's suggestion to make certain. I appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

Old 01-05-18, 04:54 PM
If it does turn out to be the gas valve, I think I'd want to know why it failed in the dangerous position it did. You got any copper pipe along the way or something? I've got some copper that I can't be bothered to replace and have gone through a gas valve or two. Can't say I've had one fail _open_. I'd have trouble sleeping at night if it happened to me. You are damn lucky you heard the noise. Also damn lucky you have nat gas instead of propane.

Old 01-05-18, 05:41 PM
R
Core, I just did what you suggested and no change, so pretty sure it's the valve. I'm leaving it off until I replace the part. I did hear it, it was very faint at first then got louder over a few weeks. My cats however noticed it right off and the were trying to tell me with pee and poo but I didn't understand until they stopped the behavior when I turned the valve off. Smart mofos, just need to get them to speak. ..lol.
and yes, lucky is nat gas, for sure.

Old 01-05-18, 05:56 PM
I'm sure the sound was slightly disturbing to the cats, but I'm not sure it would prevent them from using the litter box. It was no doubt the odorant in the gas. It must smell godawful to them,

It wouldn't be a bad idea to spend $50 on a combustible gas alarm if you've got an outlet handy down there. Best money I ever spent, but I've got LP so it's a bit more important. Most of them have carbon monoxide detection as well, which could be important for you given PJmax's comment below.

Smart mofos, just need to get them to speak. ..lol.
Be careful what you wish for. When the wife needs something done I wish she'd just quietly pee on the floor rather than me having to listen to her.

Old 01-05-18, 05:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
Just as an aside.... in the manual I'm looking at it shows that model from 1978-1979. If that is correct that is a pretty old furnace. Have you had the heat exchanger checked for integrity ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: