Trane XR-80 Blower motor issues

Old 01-17-18, 05:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Trane XR-80 Blower motor issues

I am having issues with my blower motor. I noticed a burnt wire smell a couple of days ago and then it went away. This morning I noticed the same thing and even though my thermostat said system on the blower motor was not. I tapped the side of the panel near the blower and it kicked on for a minute then went out. I turned it of at the switch on the furnace and waited 5 minutes. The turned on the fan switch at the furnace and it kicked on and is running now. My question is while I am waiting to hear back from my tech is this a start stop issue and should I just leave the fan on until someone comes out? Also is it safe to run the furnace with access panels off? I have the safety switch taped down.

Thanks,
Brian in freezing MI

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-18, 10:10 AM
I would put the blower cover back on.

Old 01-18-18, 06:55 AM
I picked up a new capacitor from Grainger for $5.00. Put it in this AM and so far so good. The blower starts right up and no more burnt wire smell. I guess I will no for sure after a few more heating cycles.

Thanks,
Brian

Old 01-18-18, 04:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 334 Votes on 312 Posts
Good job. Sometimes it's the simplest things.

Old 01-20-18, 05:55 AM
Thanks for the replies! The blower has been running great ever since I put the new cap in. It even seems like it is running faster too. Is that possible that a bad capacitor can do that too?

Thanks,

Brian

Old 01-20-18, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 334 Votes on 312 Posts
Absolutely.
That is called a run capacitor in that type of motor and it can affect speed.

Old 01-22-18, 04:55 PM
If you mean the blower compartment door off while running, no you should not, this is evidenced by the blower door having a switch that must be depressed by having the door in place, it must be bypassed or taped down now? with the blower panel open the strong suction of the indoor blowers operation can make the combustion gases be pulled backwards into your home, if a window is cracked nearby it will be less likely however in a room tightly sealed the air being drawn in can easily create carbon monoxide infiltration and nuisance lock outs of your equipment

Old 01-22-18, 05:21 PM
You can determine the MFD rating of a capacitor in or out of the system.
out of the system takea pigtail power cord from a lamp etc and attach a wire to each of the capacitors terminals, then plug in the capacitor to a power outlet, say its 120 volts, then take an ap reading and note it down, say it was 3 amps and 120 volts that is 3 x 120 which is 360 now divide 2650 by to determine the MFD rating of the run capacitor.
In the system while its running we use the start winding voltage, Common to start, motors create BEMF back electro motive force and the start winding voltage will be above the line voltage to fed the equipment,
Say you have 230 volts line voltage powering it from common to run, the start winding voltage will be above the line voltage , because motors are similar to generators and will crate power, say start winding voltage is 300 volts now read the PEAK voltage read between the run and start terminals , sayits 600 volts to make math easy 600 volts divided by 300 volts = 2 MFD

Old 01-23-18, 09:20 AM
Thanks for all the help here! It has been six days and blower is running great. As far as the furnace cover I did put that on right away. I have missed place the old capacitor Keith so I can't do the test you recommended, but thanks for the very informative post.