Furnace not triggering heat

Old 01-17-18, 05:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace not triggering heat

Hello,

This morning we woke and it was 54 in the house. Went to look at the thermostat and it says trying to fire up the heater as it says heat on but no heat. We have had this in the past when it gets cold and windy with blowing snow that it will plug the vents outside. 2 days ago we had a similar situation where I went out with simply a screwdriver at the time to poke in to the screening for the furnace vent. I could see some blockage where the frost had filled in the screen vent holes a bit. Once I did that it fired up. I figured all well until this morning.

Today I went back outside to notice that the screening i mention was clear. I decided to take a hair dryer to it just in case. I did this only for maybe 3 minutes or so hoping that would do it. I came back and tried the same routine. Power off the furnace with the switch on the unit and let it fire up. I can hear it making some noise and it does this noise for probably 60 seconds and then simply stops.

I am guessing this noise i am referring is the unit checking to see if the venting is adequate would be my guess, When the unit functions correctly it makes this noise then the flame lights and we are good. However, we never get to the flame lighting part.

The fan does still run and currently we are using our basement fireplace to try and warm the house best we can while having the furnace fan on to circulate the air.

Any ideas what could be the problem? could the vent plug be further in that i need to hold the hair dryer to the pipe longer? Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-18, 12:19 PM
i pulled out the flame rod and used some steel whool to clean it. Put it back in and tried it again and it seemed to fire and heat to temp set.

I thought good news but back to it not firing again and it doing the same thing when the temp dropped below what was set. I can hear it cycling again. The flame never triggers. I can only hear what sounds like a fan come on for 15-30 sec or so then stop and it does this about every 10 minutes.

Old 01-17-18, 12:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 339 Votes on 317 Posts
You posted in the boiler forum. Is this a furnace(air) or boiler(water) ?

I need the model number for the furnace as I have no idea what you have there. It can be found inside on the side wall near the burner.

Check and see if there is a sight glass in the blower door. If there is.... look in there for a blinking LED fault light. Count the flashes.

Old 01-17-18, 12:40 PM
oh sorry. no this is a natural gas air furnace. Should i move this over to the correct forum?

It is a Ruud Achiever 90 Plus

I do see the blinking lights and the left one blinks 2 times then off. The right stays on. I am not sure if these are the fault codes as it seems to do this as well when it tries to turn on so i was guessing it was part of the startup process.

Last edited by olson2334; 01-17-18 at 01:38 PM. Reason: should have been more specific
Old 01-17-18, 02:01 PM
Group Moderator
Thread moved.

That's a group name. The actual model is behind the burner door.
You can also remove the blower door to look at the codes on the back .

A 2 flash code means the pressure switch is not closing. Make sure the vent line(s) to outside are clear. There are drain lines that can become clogged on that furnace. There is also a draft inducer blower connected to the pressure switch with a rubber hose. Remove the hose from the inducer and using a pin or paperclip...... clean out the tiny hole at the bottom of the fitting.

Name:  Inducer clean.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  11.5 KB

Old 01-17-18, 06:22 PM
Thanks again for the help in this. I don't clearly see a model but I see something that says DWG and that number is 90-24007 - 04 rev 05. is that the number you're looking for? Sorry about this as this feels like a simple question but god help me I cannot clearly find it.

Here are a few pictures too for reference just in case something looks out of line to you.

Also the schematic image (if you can see it) I'm not sure if that's has the number you are looking for so I took a picture of that too.

Also I will try the things you suggest. the clean out of the tiny hole is that on both ends of the hose that I outline in the picture?

The vent run is quite long for the exhaust so it is a little difficult to see very far into the one pipe but it looks clear to me.

As far as the drain lines go. Some have open vents it seems where I could pour a bit of water in to see if drains from that point. any harm in doing that or is there a better way to verify there aren't any plugs in the drainage?

Name:  20180117_201732.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  96.0 KB

Name:  20180117_195529_e.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  98.7 KB

Name:  20180117_195517e.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  96.9 KB

Old 01-17-18, 06:41 PM
Group Moderator
In your second picture..... you've drawn two red squares. Look directly to the right. That's the ID plate. The larger red square is the draft inducer. Take the rubber hose off and clean the little tiny hole. Make sure that rubber hose is completely clear. You can take it off the pressure switch in the little box.

While you are cleaning.... remove the rubber hose on the pressure switch below the small red box. Make sure it's clear too.

Old 01-18-18, 06:15 AM
I pulled those 2 hoses and blew through them to make sure they were not plugged. i did not see a small hole that you reference in the image however. They seemed clear to me as i could blow through them simply.

Thanks for pointing out that other model location. It was there. This is the model: UGRA-09EZAJS

One thing I am not sure if coincidence or not but when i blew these out and left the panel off it did start without issue. The same was true yesterday. The other time yesterday when i tried it and i put the panel on it did not start. I will try this today too perhaps. If this is the case is this a venting issue in your opinion or does this clear things up at all?

Old 01-18-18, 04:54 PM
Group Moderator
When you pull the hose off the inducer blower (large red box)..... look into the fitting. There is a 3/16" barbed fitting where the hose pushes on but in the very center and all the way inside is the little hole. You may not be able to see it but it's there.

You can try this too..... remove the tube from the inducer. Start the furnace on a call for heat so that the inducer runs.... see if any water drips out. Any water in there is a problem.

Old 01-19-18, 02:09 PM
Thanks again for the reply. I pulled that hose off tried to cycle the furnace but no water dripped out.

One thing that I did notice and seems to work is I did try and turn the furnace on when the panel was completely off and it fired up each time. I tried 3-4 times with success each time. I put the panel back on and the furnace will not fire.

Also, I noticed that there is some plastic hole covers on the side of the furnace. I pulled one of those off leaving the cover on and tried to fire the furnace up and it has come on now the past number of times. Not sure if that is what they are for or not.

Any ideas here? I am not sure what has changed with the unit but at least we can get some heat.

Old 01-23-18, 05:38 AM
Thanks for your help on this and I am wanting to follow up

I am concerned this just started happening out of the blue before i leave on vacation in 10 days. I have left that little hole cover off and it seems to be working. Is there some blockage i cannot see that is causing this or something else within the unit do you think?

Old 01-23-18, 10:06 PM
Group Moderator
You have a fresh air vent in the upper right hand corner of the furnace.
That is supposed to let air in for furnace to run on. Make sure that is clear.