Another gas furnace not starting in morning issue

Old 01-18-18, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Another gas furnace not starting in morning issue

I have a 5 year old Tempstar gas furnace. It operates correctly until it is supposed to turn on in the morning. I have the stat set to go down to 65 at night, then go up to 71 at 6am. The signal on the thermostat is showing that it is trying to follow the programmed instructions.

If I go downstairs to the basement and flick the furnace power switch off then back on again the blower will come on and the furnace will ignite and will function properly until the next morning...
In the morning I see that the green light on the furnace is blinking 3 times, which means "pressure switch did not close or re-open".

Again, all I have to do is to flip the switch off, then back on, and the furnace runs great all day and night. Any ideas? I do not have much experience with these things but am trying to avoid calling a tech. BTW, no kinks in the hoses to the pressure switch...I have gone outside and checked for blockage in the vent.
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-18, 12:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 332 Votes on 310 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Your next step should be to remove the rubber hose from the draft inducer and clean the little tiny hole that is down inside the hose fitting. It's very small.... you'll need a small drillbit, small paperclip or piece of wire to clean it.

Name:  Inducer clean.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  11.5 KB

Old 01-18-18, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the quick response. I removed the 2 hoses from the pressure switch side of the hoses..one being a square hose, the other being round. They were both clean. On the pressure switch itself one of the hose connection is a sort of nipple..this did not want anything put inside of it...the other connection for the 2nd hose seemed fine. I did not push the paper clip past the stem of the connector. Both hoses seem to be in good condition.
The other end of the round hose connection would be kind of difficult to get to so I left it alone for now.

Old 01-18-18, 02:40 PM
Group Moderator
Hmmmm..... I could use the model number for the furnace.
It's on the side wall.... inside near the burner.

Old 01-18-18, 03:18 PM
BTW, I also disconnected the square hose on the inducer side and used a paper clip to try to clean out that fitting. It seemed to be clean..
There was a model # on the outside of the furnace..nothing I could see on the inside near the burner. I am attaching 2 photos..one of the model number and the other showing the pressure switch and inducer area..thanks again

Attached Images    

Last edited by PJmax; 01-18-18 at 03:49 PM. Reason: added labeled picture
Old 01-18-18, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
I'll check into the manual. I added a labeled picture. Looks like some condensate issues in pink areas. Could be plugged condensate drain lines.

Old 01-18-18, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the help! After all the prodding and picking we will see what happens tomorrow morning.
The rust on the sheet metal was from a leak in the system 2 years ago. I believe it was a collector that was replaced.
michael

Old 01-19-18, 07:31 AM
The furnace kicked on by itself this morning!! The only thing besides my tinkering with the furnace was that it was not as cold this morning as it has been..the house was 3 degrees warmer when the thermostat sent its 6:30am instructions to fire up.
Maybe just a fluke, or maybe the tapping on the switch and sticking the paper clip into the inducer opening did it's thing??
Thank you so much for your kind help!
Michael

Old 01-24-18, 07:28 AM
Well..it did kick on over the weekend....now doing the same thing.
The Tempstar furnace works great all day and evening. The thermostat is set for 65 after 10 pm, then 71 at 7 am. This is where the problem lies. It does not turn on (only in the morning). The power switch on the furnace must be turned to off, then back on, then we are good for the day again.

Three blink code indicates the pressure switch not closing or re-opening. It is a "double" pressure switch with 2 hoses. I have taken both hoses off and blown throught them. I have also taken a paper clip to make sure the insert points on the inducer side of the hoses are clean and clear. There does not appear to be moisture. I have also "tapped" the switch itself.

All was good over the weekend, but it has happened 3 mornings in a row. Is it time to find a new pressure switch?

Thanks in advance, Michael

Old 01-31-18, 07:50 PM
Ended up having the pressure switch replaced. The problem (not starting in the morning) is periodic...sometimes it kicks on, other days it doesn't. All I have to do is turn power switch off then back on...then it works again. Very frustrating and confusing..