Old Magic Chef Oil Fired L6A112C16-1 How to Clean Heat Exchanger?

Old 01-19-18, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old Magic Chef Oil Fired L6A112C16-1 How to Clean Heat Exchanger?

The old furnace was installed in 1989 and it has no clean out covers. I'm told to clean
it out through the exhaust hole. I've seen brushes and watched some videos but I don't
really know what I'm doing. This video looks good but I'd like advice from professionals:
Ours looks pretty much like this with the exhaust port and another to view the flame:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=h1JZfCMwVdI

I have a big shop vac, and a small compressor so I could do what that guy is doing but
I'm not sure where to stay away from to avoid damaging the combustion chamber.

As I understand it the combustion chamber is lined with a delicate material and I'm
wondering where the combustion chamber ends and the heat exchanger begins?
Or really, if I put a brush, or air into the exhaust hole is it possible to push it so far
down that it damages the lining? What should I be aware of?
Appreciate any tips very much.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-18, 03:54 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Does your furnace have those 2 round covers on the front of the furnace like this one.

If it does, those are your cleanout ports. Remove the round covers and there will be another cover inside. It will have a nut to loosen but be very careful not to drop the cover inside the furnace. You will be toast.

With those 2 covers removed you just run your vac inside to get what is there.

Chances are you will find very little. Then remove your smoke pipe and clean that out and then very carefully clean out the chamber, being careful not to suck up any chamber material.

I wouldn't think you would need the compressor except in extreme cases of which I've never seen one.

A pic of your furnace would be very helpful.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 01-21-18, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, It does not have the two round covers or any clean outs.

I've heard of brushes being used, are they not needed?
I'd be worried about damaging the combustion chamber lining if it
is possible to reach down there from above.

Old 01-21-18, 12:38 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Pete,
If you do not have the cleanout doors all you do is take your smoke pipe off the collector box and clean out whatever is in there.

As a general rule unless they are burning really dirty, not much accumulates in there.

Brushes are used. There are different sizes for different jobs.

They also make a soot vac for these jobs. The soot will ruin a shop vac motor, but people try to use them.

Your furnace is one of the more simple ones to clean.

A soot vac comes with a metal hose that fits into places a shop vac hose will not go.

Clean what you can from the smoke pipe area and I would not fool with your chamber area.

If you had the proper hose you could go in gingerly, being careful not to touch the refractory, but just kind of hover the hose to suck up the little that's there.

That material is very soft and breaks up easy which would put you in real trouble if it broke apart.

Any little soot that did get in there will be burned off when you fire the burner.

Again, just my opinion but I would stay away from the compressor. Overkill in this case and needlessly messy.

Hope this helps a little.