This can't be safe

Old 01-22-18, 01:19 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This can't be safe

I have a Heil brand furnace, manufactured in 1990. It has one exhaust pipe going from the inducer motor to the exterior of the house. It has 2 holes at the top of the furnace, one of which I'm assuming is for air intake. The other hole, however, blows warm air directly into the room. I can't find anything online similar to this setup. I know the previous owner tampered with the furnace (removed the safety switch and sealed off a pipe on the back of the furnace with tape) so I'm assuming that he might be responsible for the venting as well. I have a carbon monoxide detector about 4 feet from the furnace which I monitor daily...however I feel that the open holes are grossly inefficient at best and potentially dangerous if they are venting directly into the room. Any thoughts?
-no, I haven't had a professional look at it...but it is was serviced prior to home purchase and nothing was said.
-I have no idea how to add photos from my computer otherwise I would include some for reference.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-18, 01:31 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 78 Posts
How is this vent different that the air being ducted around your house?

Old 01-22-18, 01:54 PM
#1 NEVER EVER remove or bypass any safety device, this is a terrible idea obviously, they are not optional devices they are there to save your life. the induced draft is vented outside as you stated this is normal as long as it has no leaks, as to the top 2 holes I assume that is intake and supply? and you say no return or supply ducts are attached and it blows hot air into the room out from the unit, this clearly will cause some recirculation of the air being discharged, this is not optimal obviously, it could overheat the unit and make safety devices trrip which is why he probably removed or bypassed the safety you mentioned he removed, the other hole he taped over sounds like a supply that has no duct attached so he taped it up, without seeing this I am guessing, if you need to post pictures go to tinypics online it is a website where you can download pictures and get a bunch of letters and numbers to copy and then paste into where ever you are typing words and it should publish the pictures along with anything you typed with them.
I would call your gas utility and ask for a carbon monoxide test and gas leak test, both are free.

Old 01-22-18, 01:57 PM
S
If I look into the hole I can see directly down to the burner ports. Why is warm air coming out of there? Isn't that the point of the heat exchanger? Doesn't it defeat the purpose of the air intake if it's just blowing right out again? It just seems inefficient, but I've spent so much time staring at it I'm probably just overthinking it at this point.

Old 01-22-18, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Just a note...links to tinypics.com are not allowed here. Too many problems in the past.

Old 01-22-18, 09:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 702 Posts
This can't be safe
I agree.

Please post pictures directly to the board.... How-to-insert-pictures
A model number of the furnace would be helpful too.
It can be found inside on the side wall on an ID tag near the burner.

Old 01-23-18, 01:47 PM
S
Model number NUGK075DG07
Thanks for helping with the photo uploads.

Name:  f1.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  85.5 KB

Name:  f2.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  78.6 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-23-18 at 06:32 PM. Reason: reoriented pictures
Old 01-23-18, 07:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 702 Posts
Apparently your setup is correct. You can see down the front of the furnace to the front of the burner box but not inside into the heat exchanger........correct ?

See figure 93 and 94 in part two of your manual.

Good to have the manuals if needed.
NUGK_SERVICE_MANUAL__PART_1_ICP_20983.pdf
NUGK_SERVICE_MANUAL_PART_2_ICP_20984.pdf

Old 01-23-18, 08:44 PM
S
That's correct. The manuals are very helpful. Thank you!