Tempstar furnace DIP switch position

Old 01-25-18, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tempstar furnace DIP switch position

I have a 16 year old Tempstar condensing 90+ two stage with variable speed motor. I just connected my new Lyric T5 thermostat by using an unused fifth wire in the bundle. But I would like to pull new wires and have the thermostat control the staging rather than the furnace. The manual says the 4th DIP switch must be in the ON position for two-stage thermostat operation. At present only the 2nd and 3rd are in the ON position. If I move the 4th to the ON position do the 1st, 2nd and 3rd stay in their present positions? Are any other adjustments required? At present the second stage kicks in after 12 minutes.

And if I may, I never use the fan only. Rather than pulling new wire can I just use the G wire for the W2 connection between thermostat and furnace? Would I then have to jumper the Y terminal to G at the furnace control panel for air conditioning? Would that change the DIP switch answer in any way?

Thank you!

Last edited by LPDON; 01-25-18 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Add text
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-18, 07:45 AM
Upon further review of the manual I have learned that only the 4th dip switch was changed by the installer (since the old thermostat didn't support 2-stage heating), and setting it to ON will be the factory setting for all four.

I was advised in another forum that it would be ok to use the G wire to connect the W2 terminals at the thermostat and furnace, and this would give control over staging to the thermostat rather then the furnace.

Old 01-29-18, 05:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Yes... you'd need to install a jumper from Y to G at the furnace to activate the blower in cooling mode.

Old 01-29-18, 07:44 PM
Thanks Pete!

My wording was sloppy regarding the DIP switches. The factory setting for 1 through 4 respectively is OFF ON ON ON.

As for the jumper, I think I will run an extra wire for the W2 connection by summertime and reconnect G as before. Is it ok to run a bundle of three wires to the furnace and then snake in just one wire where the first bundle enters the cabinet now? I doubt there is room to squeeze in all three plus the jacket.

Old 01-29-18, 09:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 343 Votes on 321 Posts
That would work ok...........

Old 01-30-18, 06:28 AM
Yeah, just wondered if there might be some obscure rule against it. Thanks again. U da moderator!