Furnace Noise Question

Old 02-18-18, 10:00 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Furnace Noise Question

My son had a 20-year-old single stage Trane furnace. He recently purchased a Trane S9V2, two-stage, with a variable speed motor.

He tells me he can hear the furnace operating on the new furnace where on the old furnace he could not hear it operating. Is it possible the variable speed motor is the noise he is hearing?

The literature on the new furnace states: Variable-Speed Blower Motor with Comfort-Rô allows quieter system startups and shutdowns.

So, I was surprised he could more noise on the new furnace compared to his old furnace.

Is this possible?

Thanks,
Jerry
2/18/18

Old 02-18-18, 10:40 PM
F
Received 37 Upvotes on 29 Posts
IF the original furnace did not have an induced draft fan then it is quite possible it was quieter than the new furnace.

My original furnace was so quiet I never heard it. I had it replaced with a Lennox unit with two-stage burner and variable speed blower. The old furnace did not have the ID fan and I never heard it other than the main air blower which was sometimes obnoxiously loud. With the new furnace when the house is quiet I can often hear the ID fan start at the beginning of the ignition cycle. It is not all that loud but it IS noticeable under the right conditions of quietness. If I have the television going, even at low volume, I never hear the furnace.

Old 02-19-18, 04:46 AM
R
Received 178 Upvotes on 164 Posts
Is it burner noise, or indoor blower noise?

Old 05-28-18, 08:48 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
same noise problem

I had a Trane S9V2 installed 3 weeks ago and now I hear a whining sound every time the blower comes on. I can hear the air noise from the registers that are closest to the furnace like I did with the old one but now there is a constant whine during heat or AC. You can hear it get louder as the motor speed ramps up.
Has your son found a solution or contacted Trane about the noise?

Old 05-28-18, 10:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 72 Upvotes on 65 Posts
The issue in post 1 is probably the dip switches 5 and 6 that are in the factory position that turns off ramping.

I have had customers call with Jerry101ís complaint when air is pulling past a loose piece of silver duct tape.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: