Electrostatic Filter vs Normal disposable filters

Old 03-16-18, 11:34 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Electrostatic Filter vs Normal disposable filters

In troubleshooting my furnace, I'm also curious about something that I would like to get educated on once and for all.

1. I currently have this green filter, but recently I learned about electrostatic filters. I didn't even know a lifetime filter where you can clean it monthly was an option for furnaces. Doesn't seem like it's offered at big box stores. All they ever have are the disposable one. Is there any reason why I shouldn't use one for my old Lennox G16Q5X-100-7?

2. At the bottom where you put the filter, there is this cumbersome metal rack that looks like it belongs in a bar-b-que grill. What is the purpose of this thing? Is it to hold the filter down because air is blown upwards and the filter would move without it?

3. I currently have this green filter in there, but normally it would be a 24x24x2 filter. When I place these filters in, I place it in with the arrow pointing up. Have I been doing that correctly?

4. In choosing filters, whether disposable or electrostatic. Is it okay to go with 24x24x1 for this Lennox? Original home owners used to have a 24x24x2 in there, and sometimes I would replace it with a 1" inch because HD and Lowes don't carry 2".

Thank you for your time.

Name:  filter.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  45.9 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-18, 11:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 914 Votes on 854 Posts
Electrostatic filters are a servicing nuisance. You need to remove the cells from the furnace and clean them at least once a month. More often in dirtier environments. I have one. It is a hassle to constantly clean the cells.

I've never used the cleanable type filters.... just the basic throwaways.
That metal rack does keep the filter from being sucked into the blower.
The filter arrow points towards the blower..... or up in your case.

In most cases... a basic 1" filter is fine.

Old 03-16-18, 10:23 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Got it! Thank you for the confirmations.

Old 03-17-18, 05:21 AM
Received 311 Votes on 291 Posts
Over the past several homes we built I had electrostatic filters, the 4" wide cartridge filters and current house we are using mid grade 1" filters.

No significant differences in any of them, furnace only runs for short periods of time so filters can only do so much.

I was able to buy current filters in bulk which saved some $ so for the future that is what I sticking with!

Old 03-19-18, 04:26 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
electrostatic filters are hard on the equipment. They are hard for the blower to pull air through them. If you forget to clean them then its even worse.

Old 03-19-18, 11:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 914 Votes on 854 Posts
misread previous reply.......