Adding a 3rd Zone

Old 03-20-18, 02:06 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding a 3rd Zone

Hello,

First time posting here.

My family moved into a new house a few months ago.

I just recently updated my Honeywell MM-2 Mastertrol Mini-Zone-2 zone controller to a Honeywell HZ322. With that I also updated my old mercury thermostats to programmable ones.

I have an oil furnace, forced hot air. Two zones: 1st floor and 2nd floor. However, half of the basement was finished, and has vents connected to both zones. So it gets air throughout the day, but there is no feedback there when it gets hot/cold, and it never reaches what temp we want. I'd rather not install remote sensors to monitor and control zones 1&2 off of it because the actual zone areas will get too hot/cold.

There is an additional duct that comes from the plenum to the basement that must have been installed when that section was finished. My thought is to install a new damper and hook it up to the unused zone 3 of the HZ322. Then put another thermostat down there to monitor/control.

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-18, 02:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,110 Votes on 1,030 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's not that easy to just add an additional zone. The one problem that needs to be dealt with is if the furnace can move enough air thru the basement zone without overheating.

Old 03-20-18, 02:15 PM
M
Thanks, Pete.

The vents are already there. Basically there are two coming from zone 1, two coming from zone 2, and one that looks like it is just connected straight to the plenum. So it's always getting heat when either zones are on.

Would there be a problem with just a closed off section when the damper is shut that won't block zone 1 or 2? Or are you concerned with zone 1 and 2 being closed and all the air now going through that one section only?

Old 03-20-18, 04:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,110 Votes on 1,030 Posts
concerned with zone 1 and 2 being closed and all the air now going through that one section only?
Yes.... that is my concern.

Old 03-20-18, 04:52 PM
M
Thanks, Pete.

Anything you would recommend?

Old 03-20-18, 06:14 PM
M
My thought would be to get a duct fan in line with the damper to turn on when the damper is open to help give it extra flow.

Old 03-21-18, 06:14 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Each zone of a zoned system will need to be sized for the full airflow of the furnace. If not you will to have a bypass duct. I worry you will have high limit issues with a bypass for the basement. A separate system would be the best option for comfort.

Old 03-21-18, 09:58 AM
M
Thanks, airman.

By separate system, what exactly do you mean? Like an additional furnace or blower?