Adding AC with furnace

Old 07-09-18, 08:06 AM
Adding AC with furnace

Good Morning, This is a general "total ignorance" question posted in the spirit of "if you don't ask dumb questions, you'll never learn". I own an older red brick ranch house and a mobile home. Both have gas forced air heating systems, high efficiency, less than 5 years old. I was told (not by a mechanic) that these newer systems can just flip a switch and the furnace unit itself becomes an air conditioner. My eyebrows sort of rose up, because my very, very minimal knowledge of central air requires there to be a condenser somewhere outside. Perhaps this is due to my skeptical nature after years of grading algebra, but, question is, would there be one of those magic switches possible lurking in my Lennox SLP98UH or Nordyne M7RL, "as is", or is it more likely that I'd need to add a condenser unit and maybe other stuff to get central air? Simple answer is fine. I would usually ask my mechanic, who is terrific, but he's enjoying a well-deserved break this week. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-18, 08:41 AM
Will need an AC outside and a cased coil on top of the furnace.

Old 07-09-18, 11:19 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Wish it was a simple as flipping a switch.

As airman listed..... you'll need the outside condenser, inside coil, all the connecting lines as well as a new circuit for the outside unit. The duct work will need to be modified for the new cased coil.

Old 07-16-18, 01:10 PM
Thank you both for the replies. It did seem a bit too magical an idea. Skubitwo