payne furnace code 22

Old 08-04-18, 02:10 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
payne furnace code 22

Hi all,
I have a Payne gas furnace (PG8MAA) from 2003. The inducer blower keeps cycling. The furnace is off. It has the code 22 which is abnormal flame. There is no flame or any gas leaking. The cycling continues if i unplug the flame sensor, continues if i unplug the pressure switch. If i ground the flame sensor wire then the cycling stops. The furnace does light and runs like normal despite the code. I am seeing 11vac on the flame sensor. I did clean the flame sensor and made sure the sensor had a clean ground to the furnace frame. Am i looking at replacing the board?
Thank you i do appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-18, 02:59 AM
Received 20 Votes on 15 Posts
In all likelyhood you have a bad board.

With the sensor disconnected, you've ruled it out. The sensor is just a rod that comes into contact with the flame -> tiny amount of current flows through the flame, to burners and board detects this.

When the board throws that error with no sensor connected, you know it's malfunctioning. Unless there's a power quality issue upstream, messing with the electronics.

Old 08-05-18, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 257 Votes on 242 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It certainly would appear to be a board problem.
You may want to check and make sure the ground wire from the incoming power line is connected as lack of ground can cause issues too.

Old 08-05-18, 05:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok, thank you guys. i ordered a new white-rodgers board ($97 shipped) and a new oem carrier flame sensor ($11 shipped) eventhough i don't think it needs it. Was cheap enough might as well.

Thanks again for the help. I appreciate it.