pilot light blowing out counterflow topvent

Old 09-21-18, 09:27 AM
Z
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pilot light blowing out counterflow topvent

Hi, at the beginning of a the year we had a major gas leak out on the street in front of the house and caused them to inspect the apartment I live in we use to have a old enclosed front console gas room heater about 50-55,000 btu, the gas company locked us out of the gas during January in CHICAGO mid winter because they said the burners were dirty and would have to clean and or replace the heater before they would turn the gas back on. We ended up buying a new gas furnace a ( Williams counterflow direct-vent wall furnace natural gas heater ) model # 6508632 SR# 15176967, its a 65,000 BTU unit.
okay so now onto the problem this damn unit works like a beast in this small 2 bedroom Coach house only problem is the pilot light keeps blowing out at random times, at first I thought damn it must be a back draft from the vents, when I installed the unit it was a tight fit there is about maybe 2 inches before it touches the ceiling compared to the smaller unit we had before where the vent was about 3-4 feet tall then went about a foot to the right to reach the chimney. So I got some basic dampers but never installed during winter because it was a cold winter, now that its fall and winter is coming I was going to in stall the new dampers but I found out I never turned the pilot light off during the summer and seeing how it was a pretty windy summer it never once blew out.

makes me wonder if it is something else that could be causing it, I know sometimes because the layout of the apartment it was due to us opening and closing the doors it would cause a draft that would blow it out but even in the middle of the night could be 2am or so it would blow out and we would wake up freezing and have to re light it. I know this was a lot but wanted to give as much detail as I could.

I know I am missing some of the vent shaft here I removed it because I was going to install a damper but I ended up getting the wrong size. lol ended up getting a 6inc and a 4 inch but need a 5 lol.

so any info or help would be great need to get this fixed before winter. thank you all.

I had to use a different browser because all the pop up/ad blockers were preventing me from using that paperclip to upload pictures.

Attached Images     

Last edited by zuluss; 09-21-18 at 11:23 AM. Reason: imgbb photos links would not load.
Old 09-21-18, 09:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Post your pictures directly to the board........ How-to-insert-pictures

Old 09-29-18, 04:46 AM
Z
so I guess I am not the only one that cant figure this out.

Old 09-29-18, 05:42 PM
B
Received 113 Votes on 99 Posts
Need help understanding your pictures and text. You state the new furnace has about 2 inch clearance to ceiling. Picture looks like 6-12 inches. Are the pictures for the old furnace? What is the other pipe coming into the chimney pipe? Is the chimney pipe horizontal or vertical?

Old 09-30-18, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,599 Votes on 1,473 Posts
When you went back and edited your original post..... that would not alert anyone to look at the thread because you edited after I responded and I was the last one to respond. You need to bump the thread up like you just did.

Install a damper...... in that flue. No way with a pilot light.
If that small flue line is a water heater..... that is incorrectly connected.

Old 10-07-18, 11:07 AM
Z
its actually 9 inches from the ceiling, flute venting exiting the heating is a total of 12 inches high and the venting stretches 16 inches long to the vent adapter.

the other venting you see is for a water tank that is placed at the other side of the kitchen area the adapter used to connect both to the chimney has always been there was told that it was fine by a heating guy I showed it to, but the Gas company said they each needed their own exiting holes.

I attached a rough paint drawing of the layout of what is in the apartment and how the apartment is set up. I have also attached a picture of the old heater that was replaced.

also sorry about the ( I guess not ) I have had some rough stuff going on and just typed it really fast and got off my new born child had a brain injury during birth and like I said just typed it and left, also I did not see any new posts for some reason the notifications were going into my junk box and never seen it.

so back to the venting stuff, the main building was built in 1896 and this one has not estimated date it was built in but we were thinking 1900 give or take a few years. Family has owned this building for most of this time and all I am doing is trying to Fix stuff that had band-aids over band-aids for 60-70+ years the family has owned the building.

The new heater the white stand up wall heater during windy days I checked with a match and the match is being sucked into the vent have not seen it ever blow back. I left the pilot light on during the whole summer and it not once blew out during windy days or raining.
Just about 2 weeks ago the temperature had dropped from 80 one day to 48 the next and I turned the heat on, The pilot light blew out about 2 maybe 3am woke up shivering.
Also If you suggest a damper would you suggest a electric damper or would a regular non electric damper like a steel butterfly damper.

I bought two of these dampers already just have not installed them.
https://www.amazon.com/Speedi-Produc...46816708&psc=1

Attached Images    

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: