No heat from HVAC

Old 10-15-18, 10:18 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No heat from HVAC

The temperature outside has been dropping lately but our house isn't getting heated. I checked the thermostat. It's set to 72 but the temperature reads much lower than that at night. It was 65 this morning. The thermostat is set to "heat" and "on". It is blowing air but it's room temperature. If I the thermostat off and I can hear the air kick off so it is definitely blowing. I changed the air filter the other day to see if that would help, checked that the switch on the HVAC was on, which I of course had to turn off to replace the filter anyway. I made sure I put it back on. It seemed to get a bit warmer after changing the filter but might have just been coincidental. It went up a few degrees and I could see the flame inside shortly after changing the filter but it has still been cold the last few days. Any idea what might be the matter?

Old 10-15-18, 11:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Thread moved from ventilation forum to furnace forum.

Is this a heat pump system or gas furnace ??
We need information as we cannot see what you have there.

Old 10-16-18, 07:20 AM
B
It's gas. I turned it off and took the panel off last night to take a look around and see if there was anything obvious. I was just mostly looking for anything that might be dirty or some kind of blockage but it was clean. Since then it has been working fine. It was 72 this morning. But I don't know if that will last because that's what happened the other day when I turned the furnace off to change the filter. It worked for less than a day and then it got cold again.

Old 10-16-18, 07:28 AM
R
Received 199 Upvotes on 181 Posts
What is the model and brand of furnace?
What code is it failing on?

Old 10-16-18, 10:45 AM
B
The manual says Bryant 383KAV. I don't know of any code. I don't see any display or anything.

Old 10-16-18, 11:22 AM
R
Received 199 Upvotes on 181 Posts
Should be a board and led light in the blower compartment. Should also be a code diagnostic list there as well.
This also may require a meter. Do you have one?

Old 10-16-18, 05:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Your board does have a diagnostic LED on it. Look for a little round peephole in the blower door. You most likely had a service fault set but when the blower door is opened.... it cuts all power, clears the code and resets the board.

If you haven't had the furnace serviced recently..... it may be time.

Old 10-17-18, 11:24 AM
B
I'll look for the code when I get home. I did see the window and peered in but I did not see any code displayed before I turned it off and opened the door. I might have been mistaken so I will look again. Late last night it started getting cold again. It seems to only work for a day at most. I have never had it serviced as long as I have owned the place, about 5 years. First time homeowner so it's one of those things I haven't yet learned about. I have been regularly changing the air filter but until this issue I wasn't aware it required any regular maintenance beyond that. There is a maintenance record on the panel and it has been quite a while. I do plan to get it looked at but I wanted to understand the problem a bit more first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: