Flame Rollout on just one burner in High Efficiency furnace

Old 11-19-18, 10:04 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flame Rollout on just one burner in High Efficiency furnace

I am having a big problem with a flame rollout on just one burner with my high efficiency 2 stage gas furnace (AireFlo 95AF2DF110V2OC)....it is the left end burner,,,,,it flames blue and straight when the draft inducer is running and also when the blower motor is in low speed,,,but after about 2 mins and when the blower motor kicks into high speed,,,the flame starts hitting just above the hole of the heat where the flame goes into the heat exchanger and starts rolling out,,,,,I have cleaned out the burner flues twice and vacuumed them out,,,,made sure the burner orifices are lined up what appears to be straight,,,levelling the burner box itself,,,,cleaning out the heat exchanger,,,yet the flame roll out on that on end burner persisits and when it starts to rollout,,,it trips the left end burner limit that requires manually re setting thus causes short cycling,,,,it shows up as a 4 light flashing problem,,,,it also appears that the furnace is possibly over heating in addition to the flame rollout on that one burner and burner limit tripping problem.....the furnace is only 11 months old so I cannot imagine the heat exchanger is cracked.....I gotta get some heat flowing here as winter is coming fast up here in Canada,,,thus I am wondering: Can I simply cap off that one end burner orrifice that is causing the flame rollout & the furnace to short cycle,,,, and get around this problem for the time now to get some heat flowing...at least on a temporary short term basis ,,,until i can figure out what is causing the rollout on just that one burner ??

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-18, 11:18 AM
R
Received 103 Votes on 97 Posts
The next step should be checking the gas pressure.
Is this natural or LP?

Old 11-19-18, 11:40 AM
C
its a natural gas 2 stage high efficiency furnace....my impression of flame rollout is that it usually is present with all flames from all burners...so I cannot understand why i am only having the issue with just one,,,,,thats why i am thinking of caping that one off,,,,

Old 11-19-18, 12:48 PM
R
Rollout can happen with individual cells.
If it’s only 11 months old why not call the installer back to handle it? Under warranty.
Capping burners is NOT a way to fix your problem. Nor is it approved.

Old 11-19-18, 07:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Very strange. That problem would generally be indicative of a problem with the heat exchanger as it is affecting the flames. I'd definitely get the installer back in.

Old 11-19-18, 08:07 PM
H
My quetion is that is new furnace is working fine unti you do service like cleaning ...line up orifice...but how you clean heat exchange ?
orifice is line up by manifacture so you cannot touch it , any change you make that gonna big problem for unit
so what i thing problem coming when blower run in high speed ....and gas pressure is may to much more than 3.5 wc ..you have to start check from there .

Old 11-20-18, 06:40 PM
C
I noticed when i took the burner box off the furnace that the gasket that goes between the burner box and the heat exchanger,,,,is missing a piece,,,,at the same end where I am having the flame rollout from that end burner,,,,would that possibly be the problem causing the flame rollout from that one burner?? That is,,,,because of the gasket missing a piece allow more air from the blower motor to come in and cause the flame from that one end burner to start rolling out...?

Old 11-20-18, 06:46 PM
C
What are the causes of flame rollout usually in just one cell?

Old 11-21-18, 05:07 PM
R
Cracked heat exchanger, usually.
I doubt the gasket is the problem.
Did you install this furnace yourself?

Old 11-21-18, 05:35 PM
H
Yeah men i though that too so anyway is not safe for keep using the furnace now you better call installer comeback and do claim the warranty of the furnace for you .just keep your mouth shut ...and they will replace new furnace for u

Old 11-23-18, 11:26 AM
C
Could a heat exchanger really crack in less than a years use?? and why are furnace manufacturers using such ****e metal that cracks so easy for something like a heat exchanger?? I am really starting to think these high efficiency condensing furnaces are one the biggest con jobs put on the consumer market....seems like 8/10 people who buy them having probs with the water drainage and or a cracked heat exchanger....the HVAC forums are bursting at the seams with people having these probs with these high maintenance problematic high efficiency furnaces,,,,,any money you might save on your bills with them is for sure eaten up by having to call in HVAC guys in,,,,and even then you have less than a 50percent chance of those "pro HVAC" guys doing anything right....up here in Canada a government report of a 1000 new high efficiency furnace installations done by licensed HVAC companies found that only 46% were done correctly and followed the furnace manufacturers installation instructions,,,,,less than half!,,,,

Old 11-23-18, 11:34 AM
C
So yes,,,,when i am looking at only 46percent chance of a professional HVAC company installing it right,,,,I did do it myself....and this is a DIY website is it not? I mean if you believe so called HVAC pros you need to call them in at 100$/hr to even change a furnace filter! I wonder if HVAC "pros" take their cars into professional licensed mechanics specializing in that brand of car every time they need to change the oil?? Over the past 10-15yrs i have wasted 1000s of dollars following the so called "expert advice" of HVAC pros,,,,their advice for any furnace problem,,,is almost always,,,call in a HVAC pro,,,who will come and tell you that you have to put in a new furnace,,,,,and usually recommends one that he or his company is getting some sweet sales commission deal from,,,,or just some self interest in you purchasing that furnace rather than what furnace is in your best interests to put in,,,that is,,,,if you even need to put a new furnace in!!!

Old 11-23-18, 11:45 AM
R
What was the gas pressure set to when you commissioned the furnace? And what was the temperature rise? What did you clock the meter at?

Old 11-23-18, 09:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
Typically a missing piece of gasket won't cause a problem but you are telling us that the piece of missing gasket is over the burner that is rolling out and it gets worse when the blower is on high..... that tells me that there is a good chance the gasket is the problem.

If you are not happy with your installing tech or company....... call the manufacturer. Your furnace is under a year old and you should not have to do anything to it...... DIY or not.

Stick to the problem..... the HVAC rants don't help the situation.

Old 11-30-18, 05:11 PM
C
Replaced gasket,,,,problem persists of rollout in that far end burner when the blower motor goes on high speed,,,,its like the blown air from the blower fan is forcing the flame out of the heat exchange and out into the burner flue,,,,,but why would it just be doing that to that one burner,,,,,and not all of them then???

Old 11-30-18, 05:32 PM
R
Because that one cell could be cracked.
What did you set the manifold gas pressure when you started it? And what was temperature rise?