Possible to replace electric auxiliary coils with LP burners?

Old 12-06-18, 07:37 AM
Possible to replace electric auxiliary coils with LP burners?

I'm curious if it is possible to convert a regular heat pump air handler with electric auxiliary coils to a dual fuel system (LP gas auxiliary). Or would it be more cost effective to replace the entire unit as opposed to modifying the existing one (if even possible)? And does the unit need to be located near an exterior wall for venting purposes, or can I run the exhaust vent horizontally for 6 feet or so and out the rim board?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-18, 08:00 AM
You’d need to remove the air handler and install a furnace and evaporator coil.
Venting requirements are manufacturer specific but horizontal venting can sometimes be done.

Old 12-06-18, 08:05 AM
So are you saying it is not possible to swap out the electric heater and replace it with a gas heater for auxiliary use only?

Old 12-06-18, 08:37 AM
In your existing air handler?
No

Old 12-06-18, 10:27 AM
In your existing air handler?
No
Okay. I had a feeling it wouldn't be. Thanks. Guess I'll stick with my ventless wall heater until it comes time to replace my system.

Old 12-06-18, 10:33 AM
Make sure to open up some windows when you use the ventless. And under no circumstances should it be used as a primary source of heat.
Ventless has been made illegal in many areas because of potential dangers with how they run.

Old 12-06-18, 10:42 AM
Make sure to open up some windows when you use the ventless. And under no circumstances should it be used as a primary source of heat.
Ventless has been made illegal in many areas because of potential dangers with how they run.
Right. I crack a nearby window for combustion air and only use it as emergency and supplemental heat, which is only a few times a year for a few hours at a time collectively (and not consecutively). I also have CO detectors throughout the house.