Oil Furnace Hot Water Coil Replacement

Old 12-10-18, 06:46 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oil Furnace Hot Water Coil Replacement

I do most of my own home improvements and repairs but I'm not sure I should tackle this one. Over the last few months I'm starting to get lower and lower pressure on the hot water side. I've had my fuel oil company come take a look and they said the hot water coil is most likely getting clogged and should be replaced. It seems like a pretty straight forward repair I just don't know what I'm in for. Anyone ever tackle this project? Should I do it myself or leave ti to the pros?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-18, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
How old is the boiler (coil) ? There are companies that can acid clean them.

Old 12-10-18, 06:55 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace is about 30 years old but I don't know about the coil. I think some sediment got knocked loose when they replaced the gasket.

Old 12-10-18, 07:43 PM
S
Received 50 Votes on 47 Posts
M,
If you have any knowledge of boiler operations and can solder pipes this may be something you could handle. Although pretty straight forward the bolts can be very difficult to remove and may snap and have to be drilled and tapped but you mentioned a gasket replacement so your should be fairly easy to remove.

With the limited info you have given it is difficult to get a sense of your mechanical abilities. Pics would be very helpful to see what equipment you have.

As PJ mentioned, although fewer companies are offering it they can be acid cleaned so it does not have to be removed. You mentioned the gasket has been replaced. This is the same procedure only instead of just the gasket, and the old coil replaced, you would be replacing the old with a new one.

Below are available replacement coils for different boilers just to show you some options.

https://www.tfi-everhot.com/pdfs/TFI_TanklessCoils.pdf

Hope this helps a little.

Old 12-10-18, 09:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
Info for picture posting..... How-to-insert-pictures