Installed Ecobee 4, now Lennox Furnace Behaving Oddly

Old 01-08-19, 08:52 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installed Ecobee 4, now Lennox Furnace Behaving Oddly

Hi all

I am working with a Lennox gas furnace, model G60UHV-36A-070-06

As I mentioned in my Ecobee install thread (Specifically THIS message in that thread), I had noticed odd behavior immediately after the install:

Initially, after setup, I noticed (after setting the Ecobee to 79 degrees--it was 74 at the time) the burner kicked on, then off after 5-10 seconds. It did this two or three times. Then the LEDs for DS1 and DS2 started alternating blinking, slowly. After running through the diagnostics with Ecobee (burners first stage 1 and stage 2--both fired right up), I decided to shut the power to the furnace off and wait 5 minutes before turning back on. I set the thermostat to 74 (it had dropped to 71 at this point) and the furnace fired up (DS1 and DS2 blinking rapidly, burner on and stayed on). Is this a reasonable behavior on furnaces?
After shutting off the furnace, and then turning it back on, everything seemed to be running fine for literally the one full month I have been running with the new stat.

Yesterday, I came home, late, and noticed my upstairs bedroom was 66 degrees (we keep it 72). I checked the Ecobee, and it was set to hold at 74 (which keeps bedrooms 72), but the thermostat registered 70 degrees.

I went down to the furnace, popped the panels off and--sure enough-- the diagnostic LEDs were blinking 'alternate slow flash'. The label says this indicates 'WATCHGUARD'... Either the burners failed to ignite (a) or limit open more than 3 minutes (b) or lost flame sense 5 times on one cycle (c)

This is "kind of" the issue I had at install-- although that was the burner IMMEDIATELY shutting off (after like 15-30 seconds). Same LED blink pattern. I turned off furnace for 2 mins. Then turned back on. Furnace lit up. House warmed up. So I called it a fluke, and enjoyed rest of evening. At bed time, I realized the bedroom was cold again. This was about 2 hours later. Sure enough, furnace had same issue. So, I restarted it, and went to bed.

I woke up this am, and everything SEEMS ok. Temps are normal in the house.

But, I am worried. This is a furnace installed in 2004, I believe. I know its at the end of any reasonable expectation of service life. Is this an indication of imminent failure?

A google search yielded suggestion of dirty flame sensors... I have lived in this house two years, and didnt know they are supposed to get cleaned-- could that be the issue? Any advice I can get is very much appreciated. I folded and called an HVAC company to troubleshoot it. I would like to be educated on this so I know what they are talking about.

As an aside, one think that is great about Ecobee is the amount of data it collects. I have a chart that shows exactly when the home ambient temp deviated (you can see that it usually it right on the money otherwise) from the thermostat desired temp

Name:  heat_issue.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  205.2 KB

Many thanks for all who take the time to read and respond to this thread. This website is truly unique in its valuable exchange of advise and recommendations.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-19, 11:13 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
UPDATE:

Resolved. Tech came in. Dirty flame sensor. I now know how to clean it, and also how to safely check/clean out pressure switch.

At $175, I will call this an HVAC lesson fee, lol