Goodman Furnace sporadically won't light

Old 01-09-19, 01:43 PM
Goodman Furnace sporadically won't light

Hi All,

I am having some issues with my Goodman furnace. Currently here is what happens:

Temperature clicks on
Inducer/fan turns on
igniter turns on and gets red
about 10 seconds later it shuts down and restarts. It cycles 3 times and then throws a lockout code due to failed to ignite (1 blink)

It will stay in this state until I reset power. Once I reset power it will turn back on and operate for a few hours. It will eventually cycle off and then when it comes back on it will sometimes run into the same cycle again.

Things to note:

Had the furnace cleaned a month ago
Had the control board replaced a month ago
Replaced the pressure switch replaced a month ago
Had the inducer fan replaced last year
Check the hose on pressure switch for water - none

It ran for a month without issue after the board was replaced for a different error code.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-19, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
Have you replaced the ignitor? The electrical resistance of hot surface ignitors changes when they get hot. The controls monitor this change to know when it's up to temperature and OK to turn on the gas. When they age they can still glow red but their electrical resistance no longer meets what the control board wants.

Old 01-09-19, 04:52 PM
Do you hear a click and gas flow few seconds before the unit shuts off an gives an error?

If you hear a click and hear gas flow, probably a bad ignitor - you can ohm it out and compare to what the manufacturer wants. (often it's listed in the service manual)

If not, you have to see if it's applying power to the gas valve and go from there.

Old 01-11-19, 06:48 PM
I think its the gas valve at this point but I don't want to mess with that so I will be having a tech come out and replace that and validate my thoughts. Thanks guys for the help

Old 01-11-19, 07:14 PM
Group Moderator
The only way to know for sure is to connect a voltmeter to monitor the 24vAC AT the valve.
It could be loose connections on the valve or a loose pin in the multipin connector plug.