Carrier code 33 and 13 but limits are closed

Old 01-25-19, 08:03 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Carrier code 33 and 13 but limits are closed

Good morning,
I have a Carrier model 58PHA070-16 that will not heat. Checking codes on control board gave me a 33 and the 13 code upon startup, which indicates an open limit OR roll out switches. I checked the continuity of this series circuit that has the limit and roll out switches combined and I get continuity. I even bypassed all the switches and I still get the same code. The furnace never gets to the point where it goes through starting cycle, the code is there from the time stat calls for heat. I checked for polarity and proper voltages, hi and low. I tested pressure switch even though it is on a different circuit. Any ideas?

Old 02-18-19, 11:12 AM
V
33 & 13 too

I have the same issue, sorry. I changed flame rollout switch and two flame/heat sensors...worked for a few weeks and now won't go through ignite cycle even when power reset; just keeps blowing cold air and blower won't stop even after 3 hours. Taking it apart to clean out and inspect whatever I can...then calling a pro. Updates to come.

Old 02-18-19, 11:22 AM
M
is this unit was operating in the last two month?
check the filters that are cleaned n no obstructions in the air flow.
No water in the pressure switches hoses n the water drain is clean with no obstructions.
Do a self test according to the model n watch ignitor glows n fan starts.
what is the model of the unit?
the sensors are not the problem, the problem is somewhere else.
unplug or turn off the power and on again to erase the error and restart....stay there and watch what is going on and tell what happened.

Old 02-18-19, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,532 Votes on 1,415 Posts
If you blower runs continuously..... you have an open limit like the code suggests.

You will need a voltmeter with SMALL probes. Set it to read the 24vAC. Go to P1...... the 11 pin connector.... measure from pin #6 to pin #8. There should be 0v when furnace is normal. If you measure 24vAC..... there is an open limit. Make sure all wires are connected and the door safety switch is pushed in.

Carrier 58PHA/X (pdf)

Old 02-19-19, 07:50 AM
V
Thanks. I found the High Limit temp/fan switch hidden behind pvc intake pipe; removed it, tested, and stuck open...explaining why the fan blower would not turn off. Ordered new HL switch and will update thread in a few days/after install. Real cause is probably dirty ducts/coil or restricted air flow and also working to clear that up before replacing switch.

Old 02-19-19, 07:53 AM
V
Model Bryant 340AAV036080; new home install Dec 2009. CO test good so thankfully not heat exchangers. Ducts have not been cleaned in several years so my bad for being delinquent on normal annual maintenance. Also switching to less restrict air filter.

Old 02-24-19, 11:31 AM
V
Fixed. It was the High Limit switch; $20 part from US website. Furnace works perfect...so far (fingers crossed). Also inspected heat exchangers/A-Coil and were not plugged or dirty/dusty. Sad part is one of the pro techs called to say it was a cracked heat exchanger and I should replace entire furnace...and coincidentally he can get me $1K discount from Bryant for $4K new furnace. Well, it's not 1980 anymore and thank goodness for access to information and sites like this. In the end, it cost me less than $100 to change HL switch, flame sensor, igniter, flame rollout, and fan capacitor (they were all super easy to do although I probably didn't need to change all that).

Old 02-24-19, 11:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,532 Votes on 1,415 Posts
Many heat exchangers are not easy to see from the outside if there are cracks are rust thru points. Sometimes a camera snake is used when other times the furnace must be partially disassembled.

Old 02-24-19, 07:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
I would measure the air temperature entering the furnace and leaving the furnace and compare it to the rated heat rise listed on the furnace nomenclature (tag) . I would expect it to say 30 to 60 degree rated heat rise.

The limit probably cycled many times before it failed.

Old 02-25-19, 03:21 PM
V
Carbon Monoxide and temp lift checked

Thanks for advice; neighbor has a fancy CO and Temp meter and kindly probed it for me; seems like all okay and was just worn out HL switch. I did forget filter change for several months and it was dark grey when I pulled it out so suspect that strained furnace and ran hot killing that switch. Attention to furnace maintenance on my list of To Dos now. Thanks again.

Old 03-17-19, 08:12 AM
V
No faults or trips since sensor replacement.

Update: all seems to be functioning fine since sensor replacement.

Old 03-20-19, 12:24 PM
Received 45 Votes on 39 Posts
For a high limit switch to get "warn out", it has to trip many times.

It's not supposed to ever trip under normal operating conditions.

Keep an eye on it, see if the burners cycle off during a call for heat.

It may only trip when the filter is dirty enough.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: