Cozy Furnace Problems

Old 01-26-19, 09:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cozy Furnace Problems

Hi all, after much research, I wondered if anyone might be able to help.

We have a 2 year-old Cozy gravity wall furnace (W355G) that hasn't worked properly since we moved in to this house in October 2017. At first, the furnace would get the house up to temperature, shut itself off, and then not turn itself back on as the temperature began to fall. Through a happy accident, we discovered that a direct physical strike would cause it to turn back on.

We have had two different companies come out a combined 10 or 11 times, and no one can seem to fix the problem for more than two weeks.

The thermostat has been replaced four times, completely rewired three times, and the thermocouple and gas valve have both been replaced. All the electrical signals are reading fine, and the gas pressure is fine too. The pilot light stays lit, but the burners won't come on of their own volition. At this point, it's not even responding regularly to our brand of "percussive maintenance".

No one can figure out the issue - even Cozy customer service has offered solutions that don't remedy the issue. Our poor landlady has poured thousands of dollars into resolutions that sound promising, and the thing goes right back to its old nonsense. To make matters worse, we're in Canada, right on two small lakes, so the winters get bitterly cold.

As you can imagine, everyone involved is at our wits' end - from what we can all tell, there is no reason whatsoever for the furnace, at this point comprised of brand new parts, to continue this way.

I've seen similar issues on this board in my research, so I'm wondering - has anyone had this issue and found a sufficient resolution? Or should we just give up on ever being warm again?

Last edited by gobacktostereo; 01-26-19 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Unnecessary repetition
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-19, 11:02 AM
Group Moderator
Received 371 Votes on 348 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I feel sorry for the landlady but this is her problem..... not yours. Technically you shouldn't even touch the gas heater for liability issues. If the furnace can't be fixed.... it should be replaced. Your landlady can address that with Cozy.

In order for you to find the problem here you will need a meter. You would need to make a list of baseline voltages with it working and then check them again when it wasn't. That's it. No magic fix here. I can help you with the voltages.

Cozy manual

Old 01-26-19, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hey PJmax,

I appreciate your concern and your candor. Don't worry, I haven't any intention of attempting a repair myself, I was just hoping someone might see this and have experienced the same issue with different results, and maybe an idea I might suggest to the bewildered service techs.

The last we heard from Cozy, they sussed out the issue as being a digital thermostat as opposed to analog. I find with the analog, if I crank the heat it does sometimes kick on, but that's not especially helpful when we're out or asleep.

I'm leaning towards insisting on a replacement, but I recently learned she only bought this one because of an eerily similar issue with the previous unit.

I should've mentioned it earlier, but the techs came around to the thought that it was an EMF disrupting the solenoid, but haven't been able to find anything around that might have that effect.

Does it sound like perhaps the thing's just defective, somehow? According to the techs, Cozies are about the simplest things to fix, so I'm wondering if the problem is somehow external to the unit itself.

Old 01-26-19, 12:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 371 Votes on 348 Posts
One thing you can easily try is if you think it's a thermostat problem...... just short those two thermostat wires together.

This is a millivolt gas valve system. That means it runs on less then 1/2 of a volt. So any loss is a problem.
There are four parts to the system.....
1) Pilot generator - generates the voltage to open the valve
2) Safety limit - overheat protection
3) Thermostat - controls heat
4) Gas valve
The pilot generator requires a good sized pilot flame to run hot enough to generate enough voltage. All four items are in one series loop so that any if any wiring is loose the circuit is broken.

Old 01-27-19, 04:57 AM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Pilot generator systems are a "pain in the a*s". You said that the thermostat has been replaced. What is the make and model of this thermostat. How far away from the heater is the thermostat? What size wire is going to the thermostat? Since this is a pilot generator system a fix would be to convert it to a 24 volt system, but that would mean that the heater wuold not work when the power was out, like during a storm. If this were my heater, I would have a company install a "momentary switch" to jumper out the thermostat at the gas valve. When the unit does not work, you couod press the switch to see if the unit works. If it does, the thermostat and/or wiring to the thermostat is the cause. I would rule out the thermostat first then try other other fixes. Finding an answer may not be easy