Payne furnace: gas valve assembly

Old 02-26-19, 03:57 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Payne furnace: gas valve assembly

Name:  IMG_2062.JPG
Views: 437
Size:  2.57 MBI have a 12-year old Payne Gas Furnace (Model PG8JAA036070ACJA) and I cant find the "exact" replacement part ( MODEL 36G24-618). You can see where we have tried to turn the control screw, and its rusted shut.

RepairClinic offers a similar part that they suggest based on furnace model number, and the dimensions and specs seem similar, but curious how exact it needs to be. Prices seem to range from $80-$130, and after I just had a tech charge me $480 to replace a flame sensor and capacitor, now they want $557 to replace this part. ouch. my inducer fan is rattling good too, but at least the last tech, said go buy it online, and showed me how to do it.

what is the most common symptom of a failing gas valve?
im thinking i have a ground issue...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-19, 04:41 PM
S
Received 50 Votes on 47 Posts
Old 02-26-19, 07:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,203 Votes on 1,113 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Now that's strange...... how do you get 10 valves used and for sale ?

You're throwing parts at it but haven't mentioned what the problem is.
Tech info - (pdf)

36G24-618 on ebay
36G24-618

Old 02-26-19, 11:50 PM
D
thanks Pjmax

i cut n pasted from this post here, bc its exactly what im going through. i had a tech charge me to replace flame sensor, then a second tech had to come out bc the first one "positioned" wrong.

Turn heat on at thermostat
Inducer motor kicks in
Ignitor starts glowing
Gas kicks on
Flame come on for a few minutes
Flame goes out (Error Code 34 happens here)
Cycles through a few times trying to re-light - I don't believe it's opening the gas at this - I don't hear a hiss or smell anything - ignitor is coming on as it should
After a few attempts at relighting, furnace shuts down with Error Code 14

so im thinking gas valve...or a grounding issue. my furnace is VERY rusty as i live right on the beach, so maybe im getting some debris thats interrupting flow of electrons.

Old 02-27-19, 11:14 AM
D
thanks for the ebay links. i ordered one, and will install for SNG, but im still getting the same issues as described above. actually, i worked for a few cycles, and now its dead again. i tried sanding down the ground leads to the frame, but that did nothing.

Old 02-27-19, 08:02 PM
D
i removed the control board to view underneath, and it seemed clean. when i fired it back up it gave me a polarity reversed polarity issue! that went away, and now im back to the 34. maybe a bad board?

tia

Old 02-27-19, 08:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,203 Votes on 1,113 Posts
I'm trying to find a manual.

Adjusting the gas valve is not the problem.

Typically a flame sense issue will be there during ignition so that the furnace runs for less than 10 seconds and then does it's restart and lock-out thing. Can you see the flame sensor rod ? It MUST always be completely engulfed in the flame. Usually if there is a problem that could be sensor related..... a meter that can read ua (microamps) is put in series with the flame sense rod. This reading needs to be above a certain value.... usually 2 ua or better to sustain the burner operation.

On an older furnace...... dirty orifices are a common problem where there is not enough gas to the burner that has the flame senser on it.

Old 02-27-19, 10:27 PM
D
ok pete. the flame sensor is literally 5 days old, but ill stick a volmeter to it. its "mostly" in the flame. i know the 2nd tech to come out, was pissed off and called his supervisor and claimed what a terrible mistake the first guy did positioning the flame sensor. the manifold is in terrible condition, so ill try and give it scrub wo making it worse. super thanks for the reply!!

Old 02-28-19, 10:21 AM
D
i temporarily repositioned the flame sensor to be 100% engulfed, and while it failed on the first cycle, it stayed on during the 2nd try. question: the housing flange that the sensor bolts too, and the attachment on the sensor are both static, so I am no sure how one adjusts the sensor to get in the flame better. If I could rotate the attachment on the sensor that would do the trick.

tia