Carrier 58MXA Furnace issue

Old 03-30-19, 09:01 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carrier 58MXA Furnace issue

Hello,

Last night, my Carrier 58MXA stopped working. When I checked the unit and removed the front panel, there was a flashing light behind the two circle windows midway down the unit. When I turned off the power supply and turned it back on, the furnace turned on, there is heat, then about a minute later, the fan started but it only stays on for about a minute then the furnace shuts off.

I checked the wiring into the thermostat, replaced the batteries in the thermostat, checked the wires going in to the fan (The thermostat is about 10 years old), cleaned the filter and checked the exhaust pies running to the outside. The furnace will only turn on when I turn the main power to the furnace off and then turn it back on.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to get the furnace working properly? Thank you for reading this.

Old 03-30-19, 01:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Do a search.... there are a few threads on the same furnace.
That flashing light should be blinking a fault code. Count the flashes and check the list on the back of the blower door. When you open that door or disconnect power..... you are clearing the fault code.

Old 03-30-19, 03:53 PM
R
Received 199 Upvotes on 181 Posts
That model furnace was included in the class action lawsuit for a defective secondary heat exchanger.
How old is the furnace?
You’ll have to see what code is shutting it down. If it’s a rollout trip I’d suggest getting a carrier rep out to check the heat exchanger.

Old 03-31-19, 06:55 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the info. The furnace was purchased in 2002. I checked the lights. There is one short, one longer and two more short flashes. I will take a look for the other 58MXA postings you mentioned.

Old 03-31-19, 08:33 AM
R
Received 199 Upvotes on 181 Posts
The error code schematic will be on the furnace door.
That age puts it as a possible faulty secondary (furnaces built prior to 2010). The only fix if it has failed is to replace the heat exchanger or the entire furnace. There are warranty programs but a carrier dealer must get involved.

http://www.hipspro.com/pubs/Furnace-...led_notice.pdf

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: