Rheem furnace shutting off

Old 04-22-19, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rheem furnace shutting off

Hello everyone. I have a rheem rgdg 075auer 80% furnace. There are a couple items I replaced the past couple weeks as a preventative maintenance thing. I replaced the pressure switch last week. Furnace was running fine. Yesterday, I put on a new inducer motor to replace a noisy one. Turned the furnace on and the burners came on and then shut off after a few seconds and tried to relight. I turned the furnace off. Just out of curiosity I put the old pressure switch on and started the furnace. It ran fine. The new pressure switch I got from eBay as coming off of a working unit. I contacted the seller and told him about this and he said to blow into both pressure switches to see if I can hear the diaphram which I could. After this I decided to reinstall the "new" one and one again the burners went off again after a few seconds. Put the old one back on and it's fine. EBay seller is going to give me credit after I told him what I did, but I'm curious as to what could have happened with this pressure switch. Any ideas anyone. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-19, 03:46 PM
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
eBay isn’t a source for replacement parts.
Why did you replace the pressure switch in the first place? It isn’t something that is replaced for maintenance. Blowing into them can rupture the diaphragm and destroy the switch.

Old 04-22-19, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 338 Votes on 316 Posts
I'm curious as to what could have happened with this pressure switch.
Who knows. It could have been dropped, mislabeled, went defective.
There are many sizes of pressure switches and they are not interchangeable.