Installing Fuel Tank quantity float in tank

Old 05-27-19, 08:20 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing Fuel Tank quantity float in tank

Hi,
I have a 253 gallon fuel oil tank in my basement. The quantity float type sight gauge has quit working. It is part of the Vent/Sight Gage assembly. I really do not want the replace the entire assembly. since it seems I would have to disconnect the vent piping.

Approx 8 inches behind the assembly is a threaded opening. Could I just install a new float gauge there instead?

Thank you,

Frank

Old 05-27-19, 09:30 AM
S
Received 70 Votes on 66 Posts
f,
Yes you can if it is only the gauge that's bad and not the whistle. One thing you want to avoid is having the float in the direct path of the fill pipe. The pressure from the oil coming in will eventually destroy the float. Below is a sight where you can see some options.

There is a specific way these have to be installed so you do not bend them like pretzel.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/sh/contr...il+tank+gauges

That is only 1 example. If you google oil tank gauges you will see others including you tube videos how to change them. There are also different gauges for different size tanks.

Hope this helps a little.

Last edited by spott; 05-27-19 at 10:05 AM.
Old 06-03-19, 04:36 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi spott;

The whistle is working just fine. Double checked the threaded opening and is not inline with the fill pipe. I will order the single float assembly instead.

Thank you for your response,

flteng56

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: