New HVAC system - Bad Install? Furnace too big?

Old 06-13-19, 07:02 PM
New HVAC system - Bad Install? Furnace too big?

Greetings - I had a complete new system installed and the installer used my 30 year old plenum box, the furnace overhangs the box by 1/4 of an inch all the way around. How big of an issue is this??? It's a Trane model#TEM4A0B30S31SBA and the plenum box is 17"x21". They sealed the overhang w/ tape.

Now, is there a way to replace the plenum return box with a new furnace installed? Anyone ever here of this? I was thinking jack up the furnace a bit, remove old plenum and install a new. I was upset when the company did this.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-19, 07:32 PM
Group Moderator
Pretty hard to see much in the picture but if you aren't happy with the install tell the installer. It's not going to be easy to get the old plenum out now. Technically they should have measured beforehand and installed the correct one when the furnace was installed.

Old 06-13-19, 07:55 PM
Thanks. Right. He did measure, the installers were a different group of guys, they initially told me it wouldn't fit. They made a call, came back and said "we'll make it work". I didn't know better.

Old 06-13-19, 08:16 PM
Group Moderator
Did you pay them in full ?
Tell them your are not satisfied with that install and it looks very unprofessional.
That does not show any pride in their work. I'd never leave that like that.

Old 06-13-19, 08:21 PM
Nope. Haven't paid anything, installers said I have 3 days, which is tomorrow. I did sign the installation estimate which in regards to the plenums only states "modify ductwork plenum supply and return".

Old 06-17-19, 05:59 PM
Hi, often times the plenum is attached to the furnace by a flexible fitting, remember the Golden Rule , He who holds the Gold, Rules!
Geo