cooling

Old 05-30-01, 12:29 PM
Visiting Guest
I just purchased a home with no air conditioning. There are three bedrooms on the third floor (a finished attic) that I am sure are going to cook. With no attic to speak of, would it still be feasable, or smart, to go with central air or should I have units installed?

I don't know which way to go but I have to do something very quickly as it is getting hot in NY.

Old 05-30-01, 03:50 PM
HVAC Man
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

Hello, Miss chelsea
My partner and I just did an install on a house that had a "finished" Attic, yes it will probably roast up there, The unit they used for the Attic was a wall mounted Fujitsu With a Seperate condenser, (very small) and definately not worth the three grand they paid for it, (the house is being renovated) I would go with A window unit for the finished attic if it will be occupied frequently, this "third floor" is that the attic?, cause if it is, what"s on the first, and second floor?, and finally, do you know your square footage? and id the three bedrooms are the attic rooms, I would go with an A/c system for that area, and possibly a second one for the rest of the house, but that all depends on the square footage of the house.
Stay in touch

Old 06-05-01, 12:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile cooling

HVAC Man,

Thanks so much for your help. The house was newly renovated - I just bought it four months ago. The first floor is a finished basement and is roughly 780 square feet not including the garage. There are three large rooms down there plus a laundry and bathroom. I haven't figured out what to do with this space yet although I think my two year old will eventually take it over as play space. The second floor has the TV room, kitchen, living room, dining room, bathroom, sunroom, and is close to 1000 square feet. Then, the third floor, has three bedrooms and a bathroom. The third floor is a converted attic - or at least I guess that is what you would call it. The roof was raised on one side, and on the other, dormers were added. So, there is no attic space. This floor is 620 square feet. I just finished painting and now I am going to try to lay down a parquet floor. I have never done anything like this before so keep your fingers crossed.

I live with my son and my dog - so, if need be, we could share a room for the summer to conserve.

I went to Home Depot and saw a lot of units there, window units, wall units, etc. I think I might buy four units and put two on the third floor and two on the second floor and leave the basement alone. Does this sound wise? I don't have a lot of money to play with - the house was a huge expense for me - I really wanted to give my little guy a nice yard to play in and a house where he can ride his trike around without worrying about a stupid carpet. Therefore, hardwood floors on the second floor - and I am doing the third floor as I said.

The house is currently loaded at 100 (volts?) and it has been recommended that I upgrade my electric to 200. I don't even know if the air conditioner will work without doing this but, my lines run underground and although the upgrade would cost $1200 for the electrician, when I start with the excavator, and the guy I would need to prune the trees per Con Ed, we are talking in the thousands as usual. I think I bought a money pit.

I have also heard something about needing special circuits to plug the AC into...is this true?

Again, any advice would be loved. I stay up at night either painting or reading home improvement guides. But, I am starting to really love my house.

Sorry to be so wordy but hopefully with full information you can give me good advice.

Thanks.
Chelsea

Old 06-05-01, 06:36 PM
HVAC Man
Visiting Guest
don't do nothing just yet, I'm trying to figure it out, I have some projests of my own going on right now, When the remodeled did they run ductwork to the new additions?
you can E-mail me Directly at Fbody400@aol.com

Old 06-05-01, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Miss Chelsea:

I often run into situations like yours, alot of them being homes with baseboard heat and no existing forced air system.
I have never been a fan of window units, but have used wall mount types. Although they look alot alike, they are not.
A wall mount unit has the condenser air intake and exhaust on the backside of the unit, instead of the intake on the side. What this means is that you can put the unit through the wall and not have the intake for the condenser blocked. If you want something a little more permanent that just using a window unit, you can make an opening in the wall and mount it semi-permanently. Just make sure you have whoever is doing this to properly sleeve the opening.

Old 06-10-01, 01:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

hi Miss chelsea,
i read your question and answers. just going to add a little bit more,just an idea.
(1) a lot depends upon how you define "finished basement". you would always have the option of installng an air handler in your basement and running the duct close to the ceiling of your basement.That way you could do your fisrt floor( depending upon the layout of your basement, most probably all of the rooms on first floor) and also take care of the basement. height of your basement would play a big role in that. it is very much possible to do it neatly and nicely that doesnt disturb the cosmatic look of your basement.most of the times the ducts could be painted the same color as the walls and it blends in pretty good.Now remember its most probably going to be used as a play room for your son(as you said). And i think even a six feet ceiling is high enough for a two year old.Now regarding your third floor, the finished attic. it could also be branched off of the same system providing that you have some sort of closet space on first floor, connecting third floor and the basement. if not then you could always put in a window or through the wall unit or if your finances allow you then go with a wall hung unit with a condensing unit outside.

2) Regarding electric service, depending upon how much load you have on the service right now, you most probably going to have to add/upgrade your service to 200amps. even if you go with window units, you could buy 115v ac's for smaller rooms but for bigger size a 208/230v is good.for that 208/230 you might have to run new wires on separate circuit breakers. Depending upon when the house was built you might already have that service. You could always have an electrcian check it out for you.

3) Now you also have to be carefull with the county laws and the town laws. for eg: whiteplains is pretty strict compared to anyone around. But if you hire an established company to do the work thats their headache not yours.I think you can get a free estimate from any company and you could get their names from internet. I think if you go to " hire/find a contractor" you will find plenty.

Hopefully Newyork would warmup soon, i am sick of s****y weather. Heat is always good for buisness.
Goodluck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: