Oil Furnace In Outbuilding

Old 09-07-19, 10:04 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oil Furnace In Outbuilding

This just something that I'm thinking about doing. I have an outbuilding that I would like to be able to heat while I'm working in it. I would probably only be in it less than ten days per month so, I don't want the heat on continuous. Electric heat is not an option. My only choices seem to be oil, propane or wood and I'm looking for a way to do this cheap.

I have an old oil furnace that I got for free. It is actually still in pretty good shape. It's an Anthes/ Inter City forced air unit, 97000 btu, if I'm not mistaken. I have a small tank and a chimney with it. Anyway, I'm thinking of installing it in my outbuilding with the tank located outside. I don't have room inside for the tank and don't want it inside anyway.

Here is one thing that I'm wondering though. If I only use the furnace occasionally, the building will be cold inside. I want to be able to just go in, turn on the power, turn up the thermostat and have the furnace start and run. Winter temperatures could easily be -20 or colder in January and February. Will a cold furnace in a cold building be able to ignite the oil? Will it hurt it to run it this way, provided it starts in the cold?

It will be a deal breaker if I have to start the furnace in the autumn and leave it running all winter.

Old 09-08-19, 07:00 AM
R
Received 199 Upvotes on 181 Posts
Flue gas could start to condense and lead to heat exchanger damage. Oil could also start to gel, especially if it’s been in the tank a while and isn’t treated correctly.

Old 09-08-19, 07:41 AM
T
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
I would typically recommend an infrared heater for this application, but it is electric. All other heat forms are going to take a while to heat a space from negative Celsius to a comfortable temperature. How big is the space?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: